Lesher Dollar Hoard Waiting To Be Found?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Hobo, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

coloradotokens,

Thanks for the great info. I just finished reading Adna's article from the Feb 1978 Numismatist and also Dr. Whitely's small book from 1956.

Please post more about the Leshers here. I know I am interested in learning more about them (and I think we have Toad interested, too).

Also, if you want to discuss Leshers over coffee feel free to PM me. (I don't drink coffee but I can get an iced tea.)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fishfinder

fishfinder Junior Member

enjoyed the thread Hobo, thank you

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Better start saving up your flies, Toadie. Adna Wilde estimates that a total of only 1,869 Lesher Dollars were struck and only 384 were known at the time of his article in The Numismatist (Feb. 1978). I'm sure a few more have been discovered since then. (The Gazette article mentioned one being found in a shoe box.) And I am sure there are a number lying around with the owners having no idea what they have.

My local coin dealer has a Lesher Dollar. Next time I go there I'm gonna take a closer look at it and determine which variety it is.

EDIT - According to Adna Wilde the total number of known Lesher Dollars was 492 in 1993*. Apparently his 1978 article flushed out over 100 more examples over the next 15 years. More may have surfaced since then. With Adna Wilde gone I don't know who is keeping score now.

* From ANA Numismatic Theatre VHS tape titled Lesher Referendum Medals with Adna G Wilde Jr (filmed at The Broadmoor, Colorado Springs, 1993)

5. Thender

Thender Senior Member

A very great thread!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted