Leprosy Colony Coins - Data & previous thread links

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collect89, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here are a few more photos from my collection. These are the 1 centavo, 5 centavos, and 10 centavos from Columbia.

Attached Files:

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

These are the 1/2 centavo and another 1 peso from my collection of Cuilon Island, Philippines. This 1 peso coin is made of Copper-Nickel as opposed to the Aluminum coin posted earlier. Sorry for the sad photogragh in this case. The portrait on the 1 peso coin actually has good detail on the face but it looks featureless in my photo due to the coin holder reflection.

Attached Files:

Paul M. likes this.
  4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here is a 5 centimos from Maricaibo. It is a dirty red-colored coin. It really should be taken out of the holder to get a good photo.

Attached Files:

Paul M. likes this.
  5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Last photos from me (I think)

Finally, here are a couple more from The Providencia Island Leper Nation in Venezuela. These are small denomination coins of 0.05 Bolivar and 0.125 Bolivar.

Attached Files:

Paul M. likes this.
  6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Post 'em if you got 'em

Post 'em if you got 'em

7. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Collect89, what tweaked your interest to collect leper colony coins?

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Probably the same interests that get me to collect other coin series:
    • Few folks have knowledge of them
    • Rarity
    • Interesting historical tales behind the coins
    • Resale value
    • etc.

Paul M. likes this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Some of mine were posted in the Old Fort Coin Club PDF link. The Brazil and Japanese were not mine, but the rest were. I also have some other pieces.

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Special thanks to Conder101

I certainly appreciate that link & your coin photos. Here is the link again for everyone’s convenience:
    http://oldfortcoinclub.org/Documents/LEPER_COLONY.pdf

I do have another Leprosy colony coin that’s not yet depicted in this thread. It is an Aluminum 1913 1 peso from the Culion Leper Colony in the Philippine Islands. It is KM#14 which is similar to the KM#15 1920 1 peso I posted earlier in this thread. Both coins have similar design, wear, and ickyness (I mean character).

I don’t know the difference between my KM#14 and my KM#15. The only difference I see is the date. I assume there must be some minor change in the lettering style.

Paul M. likes this.
  11. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Dark humor here, so one person in my coin club showed me some of their leper colony coins, and she asked if I have any questions and I said "Why isn't there any missing pieces?"

I know, dark bad humor, but it made me laugh.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

On the reverse of KM 14 the stars flanking the date are larger and the lettering is thicker with heavier serifs.

13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

1927 Philippine Culion Leper Colony 1 Centavo

I found a few additional Leper Colony Coins at the 2013 FUN show. A couple of these pieces are upgrades for the collection.

This coin is a 1927 Philippine 1 Centavo from the Culion Leper Colony. There are two dies for this coin listed in the Krause catalog. This coin has the 7 of the date directly over the N of centavo. The dealer had another example where the 7 of the date was past the T in centavo. Unfortunately, I couldn’t convince the dealer to sell me the other centavo coin.

Attached Files:

Paul M. likes this.
  14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

This one is a 1927 Culion 5 centavo coin. The strike of this particular coin is quite nice for the series.

Attached Files:

Paul M. likes this.
  15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

These are 10 Centavo coins from the Culion Leper Colony. The 1920 coin is made of Aluminum & the 1930 coin is Copper/Nickel.

Attached Files:

Paul M. likes this.
  16. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

This 1922 (PM) 20 centavo is now a duplicate in my collection. The PM stamp indicates that it was minted in the Philippines at the Manila mint.

Attached Files:

Paul M. likes this.
  17. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

This is the final Leper Colony coin found at the 2013 FUN show. It is a 1922 Culion Leper Colony 1 Peso. It too has the PM stamp indicating that it was made at the Philippine mint in Manila.

Attached Files:

Paul M. likes this.
  18. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

I'm not sure how I missed this thread back in April, but this is EXACTLY the kind of stuff I came here for. Not leprosy colony coins in particular, but obscure information that I would never have learned about had I just been talking to local coin collectors.

Thanks for the good reading and photos everyone!

Paul M. likes this.
  19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Sorry about the Link to the file at the Old Fort coin club no longer working. The server host we had went out of business and we don't have everything back up yet. Since my original posting I have now managed to complete my set of all the Cullion colony paper money.

Paul M. likes this.
  20. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

When you have the awesome collection imaged and have the link working again, please post the link here. :)

21. Manbeast

Manbeast Collector

Here are my only Leper Colony coins.

culion 1p 1920.jpg
    culion 1p 1922.jpg
    culion 1p 1925.jpg

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted