Leo VI and Alexander, 886-912

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Leo VI was the elder son of Byzantine emperor Basil I and assumed the throne in 886 when Basil died. Alexander was the younger son.

SB1730LeoVIAlexander1992.jpg

27 mm. 8.46 grams.
    LEO VI and Alexander, 886-912
    +LЄOҺ-S AΛЄΞAҺGROS, Leo VI on left, smaller Alexander on right, both crowned and wearing loros, labarum between [The letter that looks like a G may be a version of Δ]
    4-line legend
    +LЄOҺ /SALЄΞAҺ/GROS BASIL/ROMЄON

Grierson wrote the Dumbarton Oaks volume 3.2 which covers this reign. He notes there is uncertainty if this type is early in the reign or later. Usually hoards deposited part way through the reign with one type and not the other would be used to establish chronological order, but when he wrote DO such hoards had not been found to determine whether the very common Leo VI alone type is earlier or later. It can be argued that this joint type was first because Alexander was included initially by the wishes of Basil and it took time for Leo to gather enough power to push Alexander aside. On the other hand, it can be argued that this type followed the Leo-alone type because Leo had great difficulty fathering a male heir and he may have begun coinage alone and reluctantly conceded he might have to let his brother succeed him (which, in fact, happened).

Eventually Leo VI had a son by this fourth wife (having three marriages was forbidden and having four marriages was major scandal). When Leo died his son was too young so Alexander was made emperor, but in his year-long reign he did not issue base-metal coinage except for very rare coins from the Cherson mint. When Alexander died the young son Constantine VII of Leo was promoted with his mother as regent and that began a long story of his coinage told in a previous CT thread:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/constantine-vii-replaces-romanus-i-byzantine.337736/

Show us a Byzantine coin of the period!

Johndakerftw, Spaniard, TIF and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Nice coin and write-up, @Valentinian

8B972971-C14F-4411-99A2-F6C0924EF39B.jpeg

Leo VI the Wise. AD 886-912, AE Follis (27mm, 6.04g), Constantinople

Johndakerftw, Spaniard, TIF and 5 others like this.
  4. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

b198.jpg
    Basil I
    879 to 886 AD
    Mint: Cherson
    AE 17x18mm, 4.90g
    Obvs: B with linear border
    Revs: Cross on two steps, pellet to each side.
    DO 20a.2

b270.jpg
    Romanus I
    931 to 945 AD
    Mint: Constantinople
    AR Miliaresion
    Obvs: IhSЧS XRIStЧS nICA, Cross potent on three steps with cross beneath. At center oval medallion of Romanus, RW left and MA right.
    Revs: +ROMANO CONSTANt StЄFAnOS CЄCONSTA ЄnWbR in five lines.
    23mm, 2.85g
    Ref: Sear 1755

Johndakerftw, Spaniard, TIF and 2 others like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks for the writeup, V!

I have four coins from Leo IV, all from a group lot purchased in 2013:

SB 1728.
    Leo, crowned and wearing loros, seated facing on lyre-backed throne, holding labarum and akakia
    [​IMG]

SB 1729. Crowned bust facing with short beard, wearing chlamys, holding akakia.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SB 1730. Leo on left and Alexander on right, both facing, crowned, and wearing loros, seated facing on double throne, holding labarum between them.
    [​IMG]

Here's a follow of Leo IV's father (Basil I) with Leo IV's... son? Is that correct? Is it unusual for an emperor to issue a coin with his grandson rather than son??

Basil I and Constantine VII
    [​IMG]
    Basil I and Constantine VII, CE 867-876
    AE follis, 25 mm, 7.1 gm
    Constantinople mint
    Obv: bASILIO S CONSTAN BASILIS; Basil, crowned, bearded and wearing loros on left and Constantine on right, crowned and wearing loros, on right, seated facing on double throne, holding labarum between them
    Rev: bASILIO-S CONSTAN-TINOS EN OO-bASILEIS R-OMAION in five lines
    Ref: SB 1710; DOC 9A

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  6. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Valentinian...Super looking coin and a nice write up thanks...
    I possess 'zero' Byzantine coins but can really see the appeal and is an area I will delve into..

7. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

It was his son Constantine, who died in 879, + was never made senior emperor, so he wasn't assigned a number...

+ all mine from the era..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted