Leo I AV Solidus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Jun 15, 2021.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I got this coin from a company (Hard Assets)

Eastern Roman Empire
    Leo I 457-74AD
    AV Solidus ND Constantinople Mint 21mm. 4.49g.
    NGC CH-MS 4/4 5/5
    Price $1650

Please post your Leo I coins! eee8cdf6853e6510cd17d8fb2aefb856.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice solidus, @panzerman! Great price for an MS-grade coin. :)

I don't have any Leo I coins, but actively looking for either a Leo I or Arcardius example.

panzerman likes this.
  4. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

A native of Dacia Aureliana near historic Thrace, he was known as Leo the Thracian. He came to the throne at a time when the Eastern Roman army was made up almost entirely of Germanics, and it is through the efforts of Leo that the powerful Germanic military faction's influence was destroyed.

Leo I.jpg He issued gold and silver coins. RIC X divides this type into two phases. The earlier phase (457 - 468) is distinguished by an angular form of the letter G and the spear usually pointing between the second P and E of PERPET. The later phase (468 - 473) the G's are rounded and the spear usually points between the E and T.

Won this Solidus in January, at CNG, Ex Berk BBS 198 (7 July 2016):

Constantinople, mint mark Γ (3rd officina), 462- 466 AD (early phase)
    20 x 20 mm, 4.459 g, 5h
    RIC X 605; Depeyrot 93/1; DOCLR (Grierson-Mays) 525;

Ob.: D(ominus)N(oster) LEO PERPET(uus) AVG(ustus) "Our Lord Leo, Perpetual August", Pearl-diademed, helmeted, and cuirassed bust facing slightly right, holding spear over shoulder and shield with horseman motif
    Rev.: VICTORI - A AVGGG Γ (Victory of the three Augusts), Victory standing left, holding long jeweled cross; star to right; in ex. CONOB

5. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Here's my only coin of Leo I which I posted before.

LEO Eastern.JPG LEO R.JPG

6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Just a lowly nummus. In a junk lot at $0.81 average, I can't complain.
    Leo I RIC X 701.JPG

7. panzerman

This firm, "Hard Assets" deals mostly in precious metals. But they have a "rare coin" dept. too:) I had been after a MS Leo for a year/ prices in recent auctions where crazy, esp. the Heritage ex. Still need Leo II;)

8. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

John, You'd look a long time to top that solidus :happy:! Great engraving, perfect centering, & gem MS, great eye appeal :cool:.

panzerman likes this.
  9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

panzerman likes this.
  10. Hrefn

Hrefn Well-Known Member

Both excellent solidi above.

Here are my Leo I examples. upload_2021-6-16_12-28-46.jpeg upload_2021-6-16_12-31-53.jpeg

First is from Constantinople, the second from Thessalonika.

11. Rich Beale

Rich Beale Well-Known Member

Nice coin, good price - this is the provenance in case it wasn’t advertised.

Attached Files:

panzerman likes this.
  12. panzerman

Wow! I am glad that I snapped it up!

Sometimes, I just google a coin and then all the coin archives/ dealer sites come up. "Hard Asset" site deals mostly in investment precious metals/ and offers rare coins too. It took me about 2 seconds to click "buy button"

John

13. panzerman

Thanks Al:D

I remember when one sold for 18K:shame: Seems lately, lots of coins are selling for insane prices:( Now, I will get ready for work. Got a streak going/ 48 days straight/ dawn to dusk. With this COVID stuff, no one wants to work, so you can make a ton of $$$$= nice new coins......
    John
    I am so busy/ still have not got the vaccine shot/ no time to wait around all day in a line-up for the 'jab".

14. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

John, Don't wait too long to get vaccinated, the new Delta strain from India is now penetrating The U.S. & Canada, & it's more contagious & deadly than other strains of Covid 19 :nailbiting:!

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted