Lentulus Clodianus, defeated by Spartacus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sulla80, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Faces 2.0 sm.jpg While the portraits often draw me to a coin - the stories of the people and the history of the Roman Republic linked to it bring me back. This is the case with this coin of Cn Cornelius Lentulus Clodianus, a silver denarius, from the Roman Republic in 88 BC.

This coin has many flaws, roughness on left side of the obverse, some sort of clogged die or weak strike issue on the reverse, a jagged edged and chipped flan. However, the portrait of Mars on the obverse and the victory on the reverse are, to me, exceptional, and it is good metal, heavy in hand, high relief, darkly and evenly toned. It also is linked to the Social War that ended just as this coin was minted, and the rebellion known as the Third Servile War or War of Spartacus.

Cn_Lentulus Blu.jpg
    Obv: Helmeted bust of Mars (Corinthian Helmet) seen from behind, wearing balteus (legionary sword belt) over right shoulder with parazonium, vertical spear behind left shoulder
    Rev: Victory in biga holding reins in left hand and wreath in right hand, in exergue, CN LENTVL, border of dots.
    Size: 4.03g 18mm
    Ref: 345/1

In 88 BC, Mars on the obverse and victory on the reverse may commemorate Rome's victory in the Social War (Bellum Sociale) fought against Italian cities and tribes who wanted Roman citizenship. Although Rome won the war, they ended up granting Roman citizenship to their Italian allies to avoid another fight. Another reference may be to the victory M. Claudius M. f. M. n. Marcellus over Hannibal in the second Punic war in Italy and Sicily, which culminated in the capture of Syracuse in B.C. 212. This second reference is found in RSC/Seaby - I would like to find more information on this.

The moneyer, Cn. Cornelius Lentulus Clodianus, years after issuing this coin became consul, 72 BC, and was defeated by Spartacus, in a rebellion of gladiators and slaves who had had enough of abuse at the hands of their Roman masters. The story begins with Spartacus escaped from fighting school in Capua with ~64 men. From there he soon amassed an army of tens of thousands. The Senate began to pay attention:

In the new year, (72 BC) the Senate, at length realizing the gravity of the danger, sent the consuls, Lucius Gellius and Lentulus Clodianus, with four legions into the field. Crixus was attacked by Gellius and the praetor Arrius near Mount Garganus in Apulia, and fell in the defeat which his headstrong folly had provoked. The hoard, which no commander could have restrained from excesses in the camp or in the march, obeyed him in the battlefield. Followed by Gellius, he was moving through the high lands of Picinium with the intention, which he had never abandoned, of crossing the alps when Lentulus appeared in front. Spartacus defeated him, then turned on pursuers and defeated them.
    - T. Rice Holmes (1855-1933), The Roman Republic and the Founder of the Empire, 1924 p.155-159

When the Senate learned of the defeat, they appointed Marcus Licinius Crassus as the general in charge of the war against Spartacus. Crassus brought some interesting approaches to motivating men to learn from defeat (in this case two defeated legions led by Mummius):

"What is more, Crassus selected five hundred of the soldiers who had been the first to run from the field of battle, especially those who had displayed open cowardice, and divided them into fifty groups of ten each. He then executed one man who had been selected by lot from each group. He thereby revived an ancestral punishment of soldiers that had not been used for a long time. It is a shameful type of death in its mode of execution: many terrible things are done during the imposition of the penalty, while all the other soldiers are forced to look on as spectators."
    - Brent D. Shaw, The Spartacus Slave War, 73-71 BC, 2001

Crassus eventually defeated the armies of Spartacus - although, Pompey arrived at the right moment to take credit and receive the triumph. Crassus had 6000 gladiators/slaves who survived, crucified along the Via Appia, between Rome and Capua, and the bodies left to rot as a gory reminder of the price of rebellion.

The defeat by Spartacus wasn't the end of Lentulus Clodianus' political career - with Pompey's support he became censor in 70 BC and his story continued from there.

As always, observations, corrections, additional information and sources are all appreciated.

References
    Share your denarii of Lentulus Clodianus, favorite ancient portraits, coins of Mars, or anything else you find interesting or entertaining.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    eparch, zumbly, Andres2 and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice pickup @Sulla80

L CORNELIUS LENTULUS.jpg
    L.CORNELIUS LENTULUS & C.CLAUDIUS MARCELLUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS CORNELIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Facing head of Medusa in center of triskeles, ear of corn between each leg
    REVERSE: Jupiter standing right, holding thunderbolt and eagle; LENT MAR to left, COS to right
    Rome 49 BC
    3.08g, 18-16mm
    Crawford 445/1b; Sear 4; Sydenham 1029; Cornelia 64a

Andres2, Ryro, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great capture, @Sulla80 ! And thanks for the write up.

I have his Quinarius...

[​IMG]
    RR Cn Lentulus Clodianus 88 BCE AR Quinarius Jupiter Victory crowning trophy Craw 345-2 S 255

Bing, Andres2, Ryro and 3 others like this.
  5. Alegandron

It was such a humiliating defeat for him, so I got another one... JUST to rub it in on the guy...

[​IMG]
    RR Cn Lentulus Clodianus 88 BCE AR Quinarius Jupiter Victory crowning trophy QAC S 255 Craw 345-2

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Bing, Andres2, Sulla80 and 3 others like this.
  6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Great write-up Sulla88. I had no idea about the Spartacus connection to this guy. Thanks for passing that along.

I have an example of the OP - it is quite worn, but the enigmatic smile of Mars is still intact:
    RR - Cornelia - Cn Lentulus Clodianus Denarius Mars helmet 88 BC Jan 2017.jpg

Roman Republic Denarius
    Cn. Lentulus Clodianus
    (88 B.C.)
    Rome Mint

Helmeted bust of Mars right, from behind / CN.LENTV[L] Victory in biga right.
    Crawford 345/1; Cornelia 50; Sydenham 702.
    (3.57 grams / 18 mm)

Bing, Andres2, Ryro and 2 others like this.
  7. Alegandron

Forgot I had the Denarius version, too. Purdy ruddy and worn, but Clodianus was also after his loss. Pompey bailed him out, though.

RR Cornelius Lentulus Clodianus 88 BCE AR Den Mars Biga S 254 Cr 345-1.jpg
    RR Cornelius Lentulus Clodianus 88 BCE AR Den Mars Biga Sear 254 Craw 345-1

@Marsyas Mike : I really like those banker's whacks on yours!

Marsyas Mike, Sulla80, Bing and 2 others like this.
  8. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Excellent information @Sulla80 and a great description of your coin.

Marsyas Mike and Sulla80 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted