Lego Fun, Vol. XVI: The Panthenon

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Julius Germanicus, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

I wish you all happy holidays, may you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, the Saturnalia or whatever, and a smooth transition into the new year 2.775 (ab Urbe condita, that is).
    To fit the season, here is my scale recreation of the Panthenon, the Temple of all the Gods, in Lego style:

IMG_4735.jpg

"But why have you built only the Portico, and not the Rotunda?" you may ask. In fact I had designed (and half built even) the famous domend cella (including a full interior and the floor mosaic), but I would have no place to put the thing, there would be no practical way to display the interior, and it would use up around 25.000 pieces, a month´s salary, and three months of my time.

IMG_4734.jpg

By the way, does anyone know what was in the two niches right and left of the entrance door?

IMG_4732.jpg
    To keep it coin related, here is Marcus Agrippa who is mentioned in the famous inscription:

.png

All the best,
    JG

Attached Files:

• .jpg
      .jpg
      File size:
      502.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Is this a hobby, is this a job, is this both?

ominus1 likes this.
  4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Very cool! I love coins, ancient history and Legos so I always enjoy your “fun with Legos” posts.

Would it be possible to build only half of the dome behind the portico? Then you could see the inside from the back and you would have the complete facade on the portico side. I suppose even 12,500 Legos would still be an immense project. :wideyed:

Here is a coin of Agrippa.
    D028F909-E8BB-4CF7-ACBF-829A78347716.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Augustus & Agrippa
    AE Dupondius, Nemausus mint, struck ca. 10 BC - 10 AD
    Dia.: 26 mm
    Wt.: 12.3 g
    Obv.: IMP: Augustus, laureate bust right; Agrippa, bust left wearing rostral crown
    Rev.: COL - NEM: Crocodile chained to palm tree
    Ref.: RIC 158
    Ex JAZ Numismatics

Here are some photos of the Pantheon from my last trip to Rome.
    71AE22FC-50BF-484D-8B7E-449E09B64CC8.jpeg
    5E4F1294-7BDA-4A60-A196-96359ABEAA41.jpeg

...and here is the emperor that most likely built the Pantheon in its current form.
    4E2E5C3F-F21F-4D7A-8CDB-E196EEA57DDB.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Hadrian, AD 117-138.
    AR Denarius, 18mm, Rome mint, struck AD 134-138.
    Dia.: 18 mm
    Wt.: 3.15 g
    Obv.: HADRIANVS AVG COSIII PP; Laureate head right.
    Rev.: ITA-LIA, Italia standing left, holding sceptre and cornucopiae.
    Ref.: RIC II 307; BMC 853; RSC 869
    Ex DePew Collection

Carl Wilmont, DonnaML, TIF and 7 others like this.
  5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I LOVE it when you post these! And the little Roman Centurions are adorable!
    share1350975945501756632.png

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

fascinating JG :) spock.jpg

7. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Just a hobby but my family thinks it is getting out of hand. I used to mainly build scale models of historic ships (some for display in museums) but lately enjoy to reproduce ancient architecture.

8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Have you thought of reaching out to the folks at Lego? Send them pics of some of the places you've done. I'd buy this set.
    My brother takes his family to Lego world nearly every year. And they do have deep pockets:greedy:
    Like this guy:
    2397956_1638184646.l-removebg-preview.png

Carl Wilmont, Bing and Curtisimo like this.
  9. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Man, these days one should hold tightly to his/her/their hobbies, passions and/or any meaningful work.

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

That is awesome, I've been tempted by the Lego Temptress, but alas I have resisted - so far.

Draft saved Draft deleted