Lego Fun, Vol. VII: THE COLOSSEUM

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Julius Germanicus, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Here is my opus magnum so far, a scale model of the Flavian Amphitheater, made entirely of (probably close to 10.000, mostly tan colored) LEGO bricks.

I decided to show the northern view intact (including some statues and masts), as it might have looked like in 80 AD:

P2140867.jpg

As a contrast, the model shows the southern side without it´s collapsed external facade, close to what it looks today (I might add a little decay if I find the time):

P2140871.jpg

This way I could also include the support walls that were erected in the early 19th century to prevent further collapse:

P2140880.jpg

The inside is shown more or less intact which adds stability to the model so one can carry it around in one or two pieces.

As long as I can´t afford an ancient coin with it´s picture on it (show yours if you have them :) ), this Colosseum will do it for me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

That's Amazing !

Q

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nicely done, Julius.

Now you need miniature animals for the fights!

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

You did a great job. Amazing. This needs to go on Lego Ideas so the rest of us can buy it :p

Orielensis likes this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

7. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Very cool. @Julius Germanicus , did you have to customize the blocks a little to get the pie-shaped sections to interlock?

8. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great building project! Most of my coins are before the Colosseum. I do have a few with arches.
    M.AEMILIVS.LEP Cr 291.1 JHE 68 A12-068 8.15.13 OBV.jpg
    M.AEMILIVS.LEP Cr 291.1 JHE 68 A12-068 8.15.13 REV.jpg
    Cr291/1, MN.AEMILIVS.LEPIDIVS, equestrian statue on triumphal arch

arizonarobin, ominus1, TheRed and 7 others like this.
  9. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Unbelievable, I’m a bit of a lego nut myself.

10. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

You might want to contact whoever it is who makes Legos and show them this. They might be interested in featuring it in one of their promotional pamphlets or on their website. Aedificium magnum.

arizonarobin and ominus1 like this.
  11. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

WOW. This is absolutely incredible!! I agree that Lego would be interested in an ancient architecture series. Considering how popular these are as tourist destinations, I'd have to assume people would want to take a piece home (I sure would!)

And, here is my Colosseum sestertius and medallion to tie in the numismatic depiction:

Colosseum.jpg

ColosseumMedallion.jpg

arizonarobin, tibor, PeteB and 22 others like this.
  12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

13. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

img304.jpg A colossal task, well accomplished !!! But why not add some statues of "gods", and/or crowds, plus Caesar, and animals, including gladiators etc. ? With chariots, weapons, nets etc. ? That would make the creation more "alive". img304.jpg

Andres2 likes this.
  14. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Sorry about my abysmal editing. One photo of me would have been more than enough !!! :(

15. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

What a fantastic build. I wish I had that talent to create something so nice. Here's a few of my personal photos of the Colosseum.

FB_IMG_1538370800869.jpg

Here you can see just how crowded the whole place gets with tourists. The waiting line to get in can stretch up to an hour.

FB_IMG_1538370811414.jpg

In this photo you can see the partially reconstructed arena and the underground passages of the building.

FB_IMG_1538370831112.jpg

And in this last photo, I'm the one to the left in the blue shirt. The gentleman to the right was a fellow law student at the time who accompanied me on my trip to Italy.

dlhill132, TIF, Curtisimo and 3 others like this.
  16. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Very nice. Maybe Lego could make a kit that
    others could buy. Future kits could be the
    Sphinx, The Great Pyramids and others.
    Really neat to see such creativity come to
    life.

arizonarobin likes this.
  17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Another great model, thanks for sharing! Well, for some young people 2002 may already be ancient. ;) And this one is at least quite affordable - "costs" 5 cent in the euro area.

Christian

[​IMG]

arizonarobin, dlhill132, TIF and 6 others like this.
  18. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Yes, it can be crowded. I went there in the early 1980's by myself and no part of a tour. It was early July with a very early sunrise. I got to the place about 5:30 AM, sun peeking through arches. No guards, tourists, nobody but me and the entrance wide open. I went in, walked about and then did something I had always wanted to do, scream, in Latin, the imprecations and cheers of an Ancient Roman audience. MORITORI TE SALUTANT. OCCIDE, OCCIDE! HOC HABET, HOC HABET! I figure it had been a while since the stands had heard those cries. Perhaps I woke a few ghosts. I certainly startled a colony of feral cats and a few flocks of pigeons. Fortunately the local laws against making a spectacle of oneself or exhibiting delusional behavior do not apply until after 8:00 AM.

19. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

arizonarobin, dlhill132 and TIF like this.
  20. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Ok, how many here had to google: "MORITORI TE SALUTANT. OCCIDE, OCCIDE! HOC HABET, HOC HABET! " => "MORITORI salute. I killed! This has also possess!"

@kevin McGonigal please give us your translation.

I found a card game with part of this quote.
    habet hoc habet.jpg

And this from the U of Chicago web site: Habet, Hoc Habet "He's got it!'" The exclamation was shouted when a particularly good blow was struck or the coup de grâce administered. This detail from the Borghese Gallery and Museum (Rome) shows the retiarius about to strike. Here the manica is not cloth but metal scales. The victor Astacius is shown twice, once in combat and again in victory.

habet.jpg

Great post, I would like to see the Colosseum one day.

arizonarobin and Deacon Ray like this.
  21. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

That's a beautiful and inspiring accomplishment and a tremendous effort, @Julius Germanicus ! I built a castle out of sugar cubes and glue for a social studies project on the Middle Ages in 6th grade. I drove my dad crazy asking him to go to the supermarket for more sugar cubes. I remember him saying to me, "Sugar's not free, you better be getting an A on this!"

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted