Legislation seeks 2021-CC Morgan Dollar, High Relief Peace

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TheGame, Jul 16, 2019.

1. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

Collections of Peace and Morgan dollars

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

But these aren't Peace or Morgan dollars. They are modern abominations which mighta sorta resemble something made long before you were born.

masterswimmer and Inspector43 like this.
  4. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

I will be that collector who keeps them, and I will not consider them part of a Morgan or Peace dollar collection. They’re too far removed. I simply like them for what they are- stand alone commemorative strikes.

And I’m with @messydesk regarding the designs. They had better not be caricatures of the original designs. I want them to look like REAL Morgan and Peace Dollars. Also, I hope they use the pre-1921 design for the Morgan even though this is celebrating the 1921 issues.

5. littlehugger

I went looking and there is no illustration of the proposed dollars.
    Silver dollars are iconic. Symbolic of America. They have a unique cachet.
    People just like big silver. If it were not so pricey, many would carry one as a pocket piece or talisman. Preferably with their birth year on it.
    I think a private mint could do well making them.
    Lots of old, iconic, obsolete coins out there. Just make them obviously different. So collectors dont get fooled.
    They dont have to look exactly alike
    I hope they dont mess with the designs.
    In my head, I keep seeing one of those Zombie Bucks silver rounds.
    If I want hideous, the rounds are cheaper.

6. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

My prediction is same dimensions as the old silver dollar but in .999 fine silver which will make them a little heavier than the old standard silver dollar but will less than 1 troy oz. They will fit in the same hole as a standard silver dollar.

I'm glad someone else agrees with me.

Agreed.

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I couldn’t imagine that the Mint would use anything but the original designs. But then again, it’s the Mint.

9. littlehugger

I hope it is the same size as the classics.
    They could make them thicker. Bringing them up to Troy weight, still fit the same size holes, but allow gorgeous high relief designs.
    How about a CC high relief Morgan a full Troy oz, high releif proof?
    Or, another version of the 1921 high relief Peace?
    I like the idea of a pocket piece too

10. littlehugger

You see it everywhere in life. How many singers do a cover of a great work, mess it up by "personalizing" it?
    Or when they make a movie from a hit novel, and change it completely?
    Why do nobodies think they are smarter than an already proven succes?
    But, its the govt

11. Ike Skywalker

I shared my 2021-CC Morgan rendition (pg. 3) on Coin World’s Facebook post on the subject, and they responded favorably. Pretty excited, gotta say. I hope it makes it into the magazine eventually. :happy:

F18F0880-3081-4ED1-B81A-A9AF6AC75D9F.jpeg

12. Ike Skywalker

And here's the concept I came up with for the 2021-P High Relief Peace dollar. The host image is a 1921 PCGS MS66+ example from CoinFacts. I had to create the "0" from the "9" of 1921 since there are no Peace dollars with dates containing a zero. Not perfect, but it'll suffice.

edited as requested

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2019
  13. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Not perfect, yet unless the mint uses the actual 1964 models and not a low-detail approximation, it'll be better than what the mint produces.

14. littlehugger

I am tempted to buy a pair to put in my type set in place of the real thing.
    Gorgeous.
    Of course, the 1921 was high relief.

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

If the Mint went High relief for both I might pursue one. But odds are they won't have much detail.

16. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

I agree with Paul on this. I don't understand the negative reactions either. I'll be in line for at least one as well.

17. littlehugger

Given the trend for the Troy ounce and high percentage of silver, I am hoping they make these the same size as the classic silver dollars, but thicker, to raise it up to a full Troy oz of pure silver.
    Making them thicker enhances high relief details. I saw an article once that stated metal flow in some coins prevented such things as full steps on nickels, full bands on dimes, etc.
    There are many DMPL Morgans out there, and high relief Peace. This is an opportunity for the mint to do a tour de force with these two coins.
    But, I think they should stick with the designs, as both are timeless classics, and many, many people will buy.
    Where else are you going to get a high grade proof CC Morgan for that price? Or a Peace?
    I like the classic silver dollars. I will buy these.

18. littlehugger

Given the trend for the Troy ounce and high percentage of silver, I am hoping they make these the same size as the classic silver dollars, but thicker, to raise it up to a full Troy oz of pure silver.
    Making them thicker enhances high relief details. I saw an article once that stated metal flow in some coins prevented such things as full steps on nickels, full bands on dimes, etc.
    There are many DMPL Morgans out there, and high relief Peace. This is an opportunity for the mint to do a tour de force with these two coins.
    But, I think they should stick with the designs, as both are timeless classics, and many, many people will buy.
    Where else are you going to get a high grade proof CC Morgan for that price? Or a Peace?
    I like the classic silver dollars. I will buy these.

19. Ike Skywalker

Mods- I would like to make a request for you to delete the post containing the 2021-P concept Peace Dollar. I've thought it over, and I really should have asked PCGS for permission first to share an altered TrueView image. Thanks.

micbraun likes this.
  20. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Draft saved Draft deleted