LEGIO XVII Classicae - a modest example, but so glad to have her

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eduard, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Strolling the floor at the Numismata Show which took place last Saturday and Sunday Nov. 3rd/4th I was surprised to find this little coin among the offerings of a Dutch dealer.

I was not actively looking for any Roman coins, having my focus currently on minor coinage struck during the Napoleonic era, but I really could not pass this one up.
    As many of you know, specially through the interesting postings of our friend Bing and others about this coinage, some of the scarcest denarii in Marcus Antonius Legionary series are those dedicated to the four 'named legions', of which Legio VII Classicae is (by far?) the commonest to encounter.

To me, however, Classicae has a further special meaning, beyond its service at ACTIVM, and that is the fact that it was one of the three legions (Legio XVII and XIX were the other two) which served under Quinctilivs Varvs, and which were completely decimated at the Battle of the Teutoburger Forest in 9 A.D against an alliance of Germanic tribes led by a Germanic Chieftain, Arminivs. Legio XVII Classicae played a sad and tragic role in the history of the Roman Empire in Germania.

Back in 2009 I recounted this epic event in this thread:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ro...-of-the-teutoburger-forest.55830/#post-610278

"It is said that the fact that this is one of the few names which is not thereafter recorded is due to the fact that the pain and shame of its loss
    was so deep that all memory of its existence was forever to be forgotten".

This is my humble example of LEGIO XVII CLASSICAE:

Marcus Antonius denarius Classicae - OBV1 N white background - 1.jpg Marcus Antonius denarius Classicae - REV1 N white background - 1.jpg

Please post anything you may think is relevant.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice pickup @Eduard . A very nice example. I have to get to that show one day.

Eduard likes this.
  4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Great find! Love the named legions.

LegXIIANT.jpg

Mark Antony Legionary Denarius LEG XII ANTIQVAE

ANT AVG III VIR R P C
    Galley right mast with banners at prow

LEG XII ANTIQVAE
    Legionary eagle between two standards

Patrae mint 32-31 BC
    3.57g

SEAR 1480

Ex-Londinium Coins

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Congrats, a nice & historical piece.

Eduard likes this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Those named legions are "must have" whatever state of preservation, well done !

Q

Eduard likes this.
  8. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thanks, all.

Isn't it great when you find a coin which combines historical significance with (ideally) beauty, as well as some degree of scarcity? This is one of those. Not (by far) one of my better Romans in terms of scarcity, condition, etc, but now one of my favourites.

Multatuli and Alegandron like this.
  9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A nice example

Draft saved Draft deleted