Left-facing Faustina II denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

This new acquisition marks the third left-facing portrait of Faustina II I have acquired for my collection and the first denarius to feature such a bust (my other two are middle bronzes). The obverse legend FAVSTINA AVGVSTA with the AVGVSTI PII FIL reverse legend represent the 6th and final group of inscriptions on coins issued by her father, dating from ca. 157-161.[1]

The coin is scarce to rare. It is not listed by Wiczay, Cohen or Sear. No specimens are to be found at The Coin Project or the Coryssa database. The British Museum has one specimen, which is cited by RSC, Strack, and RIC, and is the only specimen listed at ORCE. Wildwinds has one specimen. Only one example appears at acsearchinfo (and it's an ancient imitation) sold by CNG on June 29, 2016. Temeryazev and Makarenko classify it as R3 out of R4 (5-9 specimens sold since 1997) and cite a specimen sold by The Coin Shop (lot 408385).[2]

Post your left-facing portraits, unusual Faustina II coins, or anything you feel is relevant!

Faustina Jr AVGVSTI PII FIL Venus denarius left-facing bust.jpg
    Faustina II, AD 147-175.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.21 g, 17.1 mm, 5 h.
    Rome, AD 157-161.
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, left.
    Rev: AVGVSTI PII FIL, Venus standing left, holding Victory on right hand and resting left hand on shield set on helmet.
    Refs: RIC 495b; BMCRE 1102; RSC 15a; Cohen --; RCV --; CRE 235; Strack 519.

~~~

1. Mattingly, Harold, Coins of the Roman Empire in the British Museum, vol. IV: Antoninus Pius to Commodus. Introduction, indexes and plates. London, BMP, 1968, p. lxxvi-lxxvii.

2. Temeryazev, S. A., and T. P. Makarenko. The Coinage of Roman Empresses, Volume I: Antonia Minor – Didia Clara, 41 – 193 AD, San Bernardino, CreateSpace, an Amazon.com Company, 2017, pp. 74, 93.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Excellent left facing Faustina dos!
    Like the notorious Faustina II, my coin appears to have been in the pockets of every man in Rome!
    D73AF5B9-6A7A-4A7D-890D-1B1FD9523650.png
    Faustina II
    AR Denarius. Rome, c. 147-150. Draped bust r. / Concordia seated l., holding flower and resting l. arm on cornucopiaeset on globe below seat. RIC Pius 502a; RSC

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  4. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I always enjoy your latest Faustina, RC. I'm afraid I don't have any left-facing busts to share. This is the newest Faustina of any sort I've gotten - an unexceptional as/dupondius issued for her mom. It is very green!

Faustina I - As or Dup Pietas Aug 2019 portugal (0).jpg

Faustina I Æ As / Dupondius
    1st Phase: funeral, deification
    (c. 140-143 A.D.) Rome Mint

[DIVA] AVGVSTA FAVSTIN[A], draped bust right / PIETAS AVG, S-C, Pietas
    standing left, dropping incense onto candelabrum-altar and holding box of incense.
    RIC 1192Aa; Cohen 241.
    (11.97 grams / 28 mm)

5. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your left-facing Faustina II, RC. Really cool. :happy:

Roman Collector likes this.
  6. shanxi

shanxi Well-Known Member

Nice example !
    I have only two left facing Faustina II denarii.

The first one is the same type as yours, but from different dies, and quite rough.

495b.jpg
    Faustina II
    AR-Denar, Rome
    Obv.: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust left
    Rev.: AVGVSTI PII FIL, Venus standing left, holding Victory and resting left hand on shield, set on helmet.
    Ag, 3.60g, ca. 16mm
    Ref.: RIC 495b, RSC 15a, CRE 225 [R3]
    Ex Mike R. Vosper Coins

The second one comes with a Spes reverse:

497var..jpg
    Faustina II
    AR-Denar, Rome mint
    Obv.: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, Draped bust left
    Rev.: AVGVSTI P II FIL, Spes standing facing, head left, holding flower and raising skirt.
    Ag, 15 mm, 2.7g
    Ref.: RIC 497 var. [bust left], CRE 218 [R4]

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Wow!
    Lovely patina on that one, @Marsyas Mike !

That one has indeed been around the block a few times! ;)

Ryro and Marsyas Mike like this.
  8. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Faustina Junior denarius

Obv:– FAVSTINA AVGVSTA AVG P II F, Draped bust left, hair pulled back and tied in bun behind neck
    Rev:– PVDICITIA, Pudicitia, veiled, standing left, sacrificing over altar
    Minted in Rome, Undated. A.D. 161-164
    Reference:– BMCRE Group V. 1094 (Pius) citing H. M. Treasury (Allerton Bywater Hoard, 1924). RIC III 508d (Pius, Scarce, citing BM)

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted