Left-Facing Caracalla

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, May 5, 2020.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Here is a new Tetradrachm I recently received. I own 2 right facing Caracalla Tets but not a left-facing verson.

[​IMG]
    Caracalla (198 - 217 A.D.)
    SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch
    AR Tetradrachm
    O: ANTΩNЄINOC ·· CЄ AYT KMA Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust left.
    R: ΔΗΜΑΡ Χ ΕΞ ΥΠΑΤΟC ΤΟ ·Δ· / ·Δ· ·Є· Eagle standing facing on leg and thigh of animal, his head turned to right, with wreath in beak and wings spread.
    14.8g
    25mm
    McAlee 682. Prieur 226

Pellinore, dadams, FitzNigel and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Mine lacks the delta epsilon on the reverse but is otherwise similar. I do not know the intended difference between the two or why a few were made left facing.
    pm1385bb3030.jpg

4. SamuelFred1

SamuelFred1 I Guess I'm Kind Of a Decent Member at This Point?

The only thing I can think of when I hear or see the name Caracalla is when @furryfrog02 said that he would kill me in front of my own mother.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That's a great coin, Doug.

6. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Nice pick up @Mat - how scarce are left facing busts compared to a right facing? In a quick image search I had to get to page two to find one.

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

They are scarce, but not terribly rare. They command somewhat a premium compared to right facing. One that features shields or something is rarer.

dadams and dougsmit like this.
  8. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

The Greek abbreviation on Mat's coin stands for the "4 Eparchies", or sub regions of Syria. Originally the war issues of Caracalla were struck to pay the military taking part in the proposed Persian war. In order to give these coins wider circulation among the general population they were marked with this abbreviation. These coins are last issues of Caracalla, & the delta epsilon mark carried over to succeeding emperors.

dadams and dougsmit like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted