Least Amount of Money that You can spend on tracking a shipment

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CHARLES GINETTO, Nov 23, 2019.

1. CHARLES GINETTO

CHARLES GINETTO Active Member

Up until today I had been shipping my cheaper coins out first class mail in a business size envelope without a tracking number because they were so cheap that I would take a loss with a tracking number. So my question today is what's the least amount of money I'd have to pay for a tracking number through Ebay? I called Ebay and the person that answered said $2.75. Is that true and would their label fit on a business size envelope?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sounds about right to me.

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Regular tracking is free, Ebay or USPS, but a tracking number with insurance costs extra.

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The $2.75 is the cheapest as even certified mail costs more. The $2.75 is also for a first class package so I do not know if USPS would let you use that on a letter or not

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

They will allow tracking on a letter as long as the stuffer exceeds the thickness guide they use. A regular #10 envelope can be used. And you are correct about the $2.75 minimum charge. As far as the ebay label fitting on an envelope, I do not know as have never tried that. I doubt it unless it's been down sized.

baseball21 likes this.
  7. baseball21

Seems like you might as well use a bubble mailer if you have to stuff the envelope like that to use it.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

A small foam popcorn does the thick trick

9. baseball21

I'm not sure I'd trust the letter to hold with just a single pressure point expanding it like that

10. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Suggested by my post office. I’ve used it many times. Also received coins that way.

11. CHARLES GINETTO

I called Ebay again this morning. They said $2.75 is the least amount of money that I would have to spend for postage with a tracking number and that the postage label would fit on a 4 1/8 X 9 1/2 inches fitting a trifolded 8 1/2 X 11 (letter-size) paper.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Write "Non-Machinable" on the envelope and that way it will avoid a possible puncture.

13. CHARLES GINETTO

Thank you.

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted