Learning About the 1921 Peace Dollar's Strike Quality

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CamaroDMD, Dec 11, 2016.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I have always wanted to add a 21 Peace to my collection...but I want to learn more about it first. As I understand it, the high relief design caused a lot of problems in the manufacture of the coin and as a result strike quality is an issue seen for this date. However, due to the differences in the design...the coin also has different wear points/strike high spots than later date issues.

I have done some research on the market of these coins and find that due to their price point and esthetics...the best option for me is to target a coin it the AU58 range (I love AU58s anyway). However, I want to search out a coin on the nicer end of the strike spectrum. I have looked at a lot of photos online and have a basic understanding of the average strike of this coin...but if someone could give me a little advice on the finer details of the strike of this coin it would be very helpful. When I examine the 1921...what areas of the coin should I focus on to really tell if the strike is exceptional for this issue? What is unrealistic for this coin's strike?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Maybe this will be of help. The author, Roger Burdette, also wrote the book below.
    Lance.

edited - forum rules, copyright

book.png

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2016
    alurid, Michael K, CamaroDMD and 4 others like this.
  4. CamaroDMD

5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Addressing what is realistic in terms of strike, the 1921 Peace dollars you see on the cover of the book should not set your realistic expectations in terms of strike, but rather the theoretical limit, as I'm pretty sure those are proof coins. Even coins graded above 65 can be a little lacking in detail compared with these. Take a look at Heritage's sold 1921s in AU58 (try using this link). There is one of them, lot 21208 from 10/30/16, that is much better struck than the rest. It sold for $258. Other PCGS AU58s sold that month for between $176 and $235. This is the one you want. Spend time cherrypicking 1921 Peace dollars for the one that is well struck. If you can get it for the price of a generic AU58, that's a pretty big win.

6. CamaroDMD

OK...that's about what I was looking for too. That 21208 lot is the kind of coin I want to hold out for. I don't mind paying a premium for a coin like that.

7. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Roger W. Burdette has provided written permission to share this with the CoinTalk community:

12/12/16 11:27AM PST
    Lance,
    It's OK to share it. There are some updates in the 3rd Edition of the Peace Dollar book, but nothing that would alter conclusions.

Thanks for checking with me.
    Roger

--------------------

pg 1.png pg 2.png pg 3.png

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted