Featured Learn About Die Doubling...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jtwax, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Coryv

Coryv New Member

I have a question for u if i may

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jccc

Jccc Member

4. Cesar

Cesar New Member

Hi I was looking through my pennies and i came across these two pennies.They are 1989 is this a double die the

5. Jeremiah

Jeremiah New Member

Hi ! I'm from Philippines and I have 1984 D rare error one cent penny lincoln. I just want to ask, how much will it cost if i decided to sell it. I am hoping for your reply, thank you and God bless!

6. CHARLES ROSENBAUM

CHARLES ROSENBAUM Active Member

Depends on how much and is the coin rare. my self I use PayPal for all my transactions, and pics of the coin would be helpful.

7. Jeremiah

Jeremiah New Member

Okay sir i'll send you..

8. Moneyy

Moneyy New Member

Hello guys I’m new here, still not sure how to use this site... hopefully I’m not interrupting anyone! Just wonder what that could be?

9. PennyTracker1980

PennyTracker1980 New Member

Hi all,
    First time here so I apologize for posting in this forum as for some reason it says I have "insufficient privileges to post" in a new message. My daughter found a 2000-P penny that appears to be double struck. Evidenced by the borders and "trust" being incorporated in the border as well and "L" being closed the border. Just wanted to get some opinions on rarity, value if any, and input from the Masters who know way more than I.

Thanks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YfyRQPPoWKiaZeNR6

10. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a worn die. Nobody is going to see this here....make a new post with a title outside of this thread. this thread is set up to help people learn not post coins for opinions. Also, your photo doesnt exist in the attachment.

11. Cesar

Cesar New Member

ok thank you i tried doing a new post having problem with that

12. Budmann420710

Budmann420710 New Member

I need help with a 1946 dd no mint penny that has been struck right above the eye

13. Colbyjay661

Colbyjay661 New Member

Do you think this 74 denver dime ddr is worth something or a possible discovery i found it today the doubling goes all the way around

Attached Files:

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

No, I see no doubled die effect. If you are talking about the dark area around the outside of the D , that is normal. The sides can not be perfectly vertical as the die would have trouble coming up from the strike and not really damaging the lettering and devices due to the rapidity of striking, SO the sides of the die are angled slightly inward __/ \__ so when they hid the die the bottom is slightly wider than the top. The light hitting the slop is reflected sideways making it appear to be darker. Most USB microscopes do not have enough resolution to make it appear correctly.

1970srpm2.JPG
    Maybe this photo will help. Now only the mm is 'doubled' as in RPM, and you probably can see that easily. Now look at the date. Do you see a Doubled die? No , the outline around the numbers is flat, so it is MD there.

Lighting for USB cameras under 5 mp is extremely important as the software will fill in 'fake' pixels if the magnification overwhelms the resolution. The above photo was handheld Canon PS590 8mp with accessory +10 closeup lens as I recall, but it was quite a few years ago. Jim

aiarz88 likes this.
  15. Rj holtz

Rj holtz New Member

Im new to all this just started coin hunting can some help me out I don't know if this is doubling or not

16. Rj holtz

Rj holtz New Member

On the reverse side if you blow up the picture u can see doubling on the right side of the U and the left side of N In the woud unum and on the other side its all over in the god we TRUST

Attached Files:

17. Houston22689

Houston22689 New Member

How do I get to post in forums and how to post pictures I'm confused.

18. Houston22689

Houston22689 New Member

Someone please explain how to use this site successfully. Lol

19. Coins4me7

Coins4me7 New Member

398F1A9F-3173-4BC1-9D6C-6817E864F784.jpeg BDF274B2-7090-4E18-9540-A0F483BEF4D9.jpeg Okay so reading this helped me understand and I’m going to have to get a better magnifying glass, however I still can’t see the double profile & dome on this 1963 5 cent coin. The cardboard flip also list “extra step, whiskers, etc.” Any ideas

20. Joe Lopez

Joe Lopez New Member

I have a 1940 1944 1945 1955 1966 1969 d s n no mint how much can I sell wheat pennies for?

21. Joe Lopez

Joe Lopez New Member

I have 1940 44 45 55 66 69 n wheat pennies how much are they worth

Draft saved Draft deleted