Featured Learn About Die Doubling...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jtwax, Jan 21, 2005.

1. cheng

cheng New Member

You just havent seen the ddo pic I have

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Do you have updated links for this? I'd like to do some studying.

4. loopytoad74

loopytoad74 Active Member

Priceless information..thankyou thankyou and more thankyou's.

5. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

For the Machine Doubling pic, you point out "flattened" area. But this looks curved, ie what you're pointing at. If anything is flattened, I'd say the hub doubled pic has more "flattened" areas. I'm confused

6. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Can the OP or someone define OMM. It is discussed in the essay but never once defined!

7. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

joecoincollect likes this.
  8. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Couple die polishing examples from personal collection:
    [​IMG]

9. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Example of Repunched Date: 1877 CC 25 Cents:
    [​IMG]

10. ValpoBeginner

ValpoBeginner Well Known Supporter

Good article. I'm not too good at seeing the less obvious doubling, especially on proofs. Was hoping that this is the 1961 50c DDR IMG_20160215_114723.jpg
    IMG_20160215_125136.jpg
    IMG_20160215_114649.jpg

11. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Folks might be interested to see an animated overlay I just did of a 1944-S DDO showing as a thickening and doubling of the 1-9-4-4 of the date, compared with a "normal" Cent from 1944-S.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  12. Mad chang

Mad chang New Member

[​IMG] is this from doubling or is it from something else can someone help please..

13. CAM2

CAM2 New Member

[​IMG][​IMG] Hello...Found what appears to be a very peculiar 1952D penny....

It appears to have been creatively pressed many times to create the crater you see in Abes head.....

In the center of the crater you can see the ear...the whole outside of yhe crater seems to be comprised of ear and hair creating what could be interpreted as maybe the bullet hole John z Wilkes Booth inflicted on our dear President...

Either way I find it a very rare aswell as very find in my spare change jar.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  14. CAM2

CAM2 New Member

[​IMG][/UR[​IMG] L][/IMG] Found a penny in my jar that looks peculiar.

Any insight as to what it classifies under other than PMD?....

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  15. cletis faye

cletis faye Well-Known Member

16. CAM2

CAM2 New Member

After a dilligent search and asking other online experts aswell as frequenting error coin websites the only explaination to the way this 1952D lincoln wheat cent penny was made is through 4-6 multiple strikes in a complete 360 degree pattern....

From what I researched...The more multiples of strikes the more the monetary value multiplies and if this is true this is a very rare and truley one of a kind mint error.

How can I get the penny error confirmed and if this indeed is a MSE coin how can I get it confirmed aswell as graded and appraised?

Do I have to send this thing to the mint for authentication?

17. RepublicMetals9999

RepublicMetals9999 New Member

Very informative read, even for someone like myself who works in the industry!

18. CAM2

CAM2 New Member

Whats your opinion on these specimens......?

First 1985
    EPSON076.jpg EPSON077.jpg

second 1985 EPSON078.jpg EPSON079.jpg

19. CAM2

CAM2 New Member

20. RepublicMetals9999

RepublicMetals9999 New Member

I would be doing you a disservice if I gave you my opinion without telling you that I do not have much expertise with error coins of this kind. My experience in the industry has been working in my company's (Republic Metals Corporation's) minting facility and we don't make dies the same way the U.S. mint does. We mint investment-grade bullion as well as proof-like finish products. When I worked in the minting department, I operated the coin presses and have experienced what we call "miss-strikes."(you probably know this term already but I like to be thorough). A miss-strike is when the press malfunctions or the operator makes an error while pressing coins, resulting in some really cool looking "masterpieces". You'd be surprised what 5 coins pressed together look like!
    (Maybe that's why I work in the offices now ;p)
    However, those are some serious RPMs. Love the 2016 one!

21. Caliwiser

Caliwiser Member

I have a 1973-D Kennedy half dollar possible double die? Is there any value? If any besides face value? 20160924_223047.jpg 20160924_224502.jpg 20160924_225033.jpg 20160924_225450.jpg 20160924_225812.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted