Featured Learn About Die Doubling...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jtwax, Jan 21, 2005.

1. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I think I know what Benjamin was saying, but not to put words in his mouth, I will repeat the impression that it is machine doubling on the date, and that the part above the 2 might be a die chip. The reason it can't be an underlying "1" is apparent if you look at a photo of the 1942/1 P or D mercury variety. The "1" is to the very front of the 2, about at the upper serif of the "2". The spacing is different for the 1941 date due to the "1" being narrower than the "2", and the date was applied all at same time and not one number at a time.

Welcome to the forum Retired!

Jim ( also retired ) :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. retired

retired Junior Member

thanks Benjamin & Jim the info is correct did some digging came up with same conclution this sight is great for getting up front honest answers thanks Steve, I have another strange oddity maybe you can answer this one 55d linc rim.jpg

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

It maybe a coin that was encased sometime they can leave what looks like reeds on a rim.but close up photo of the rim may show more?:kewl:

5. kss1097

kss1097 Junior Member

i have a quarter that has some small indentation on it -are there any more with the same out there - my quarter is the massachusetts.

6. cindy10006

cindy10006 Junior Member

does anyone have a coin with touch up engraving as seen on potters site. I think that is what I have on my 1969 D lincoln cent the last 9 is so wide and seems to be this touch up engraving.

Thelionwarrior likes this.
  7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

8. fireworldwide

fireworldwide fireworldwideinc2020

9. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

It's machine doubling, not a doubled die.

10. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Yep, lets wait and see, Iam curious as well!!

12. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Here's his reply;
    "I have been told that recently but i can't edit the description now unfortunatly.
    Thank you for that info though"
    I see he has no return policy but it's not what he has described so you could probably return it.
    This is why it's so important to know the difference between a MD and true 'doubled die'.

13. coinhawk

coinhawk Junior Member

thank you! a fantastic read, a must i think for all of us to read who love our coins "errors" always wanting more at finger tips..

14. Celartu

Celartu Accoutant, retired

jtmax : This contribution helps us all, thanks :desk:

15. Jammed

Jammed Junior Member

Just what I needed too know, Thanks, for posting.

16. Celartu

Celartu Accoutant, retired

Thanks for such valuable assistance:hatch:

17. KingsAndEights

KingsAndEights New Member

Are the Initial links dead?

None of them work for me now? I wanted to reference these to a friend but they don't seem to be working any longer. Anyone else able to view them still?

18. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

19. coinsguy2010

coinsguy2010 Junior Member

An Error is an Error to me..If you like it pay it..No Biggie

20. Himins

Himins New Member

What a great article, so much to learn, so little time

Very unselfish of you to share this information. I am going to enjoy learning from such knowledgable folks. I did locate this penny, and would love to hear any opinion on how such an error happened. Is this penny a good find, or rather common? I noticed doubling under the chin, nose, date, mint, penny 1968 s.jpg well virtually every place in varying degrees

21. Sgt Smith

Sgt Smith Smith*s Silver

2010 P 5 oz yellowstone date 1.jpg 2010 P 5 oz yellowstone PLUR 1.jpg 2010 P 5 oz yellowstone mouth of President Washington 1.jpg SO what do we have here with this 2010 P 5 Oz Yellowstone? I am new to the game. If its machine doubling will it cause the coin to go down in grade?

Draft saved Draft deleted