LCS Pickups #6 - Barber Halves and a Coin Box

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by YoloBagels, May 24, 2021.

1. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

Here's what I got from the coin club today. Not much but I like it a lot and had a fun time getting to reconnect with some people.

First, I won one of the door prizes. A 1909-S (If only it were a penny) Barber half dollar. Was nice to get something for free. This is the shortest lived upgrade for my type set so far (lasted about 15 minutes)

5435543543.png

Next was a new upgrade for the type set. A 1903 Barber half with very nice VF Details, from Bill Fivaz. Unfortunately it was scratched on the obv and reverse, though for 2 dollars over spot I can't complain. Looks great in my Dansco Album.
    50C.1903.png

And last but not least, a massive coin box "coffin" bought at auction for $11! Now I gotta figure out what coins to put in here. Has a nice open space for large coins, easy to display, and two cabinets for smaller coins nickel-sized and smaller.

54546654654.png

That's basically it for today. Wasn't much but then again I had a lot of fun at the club. Excited for my new box too. Will post pics of it once it's full.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Neither would i!!getting a barber half for near melt,don't mind if I do.

Copper lover likes this.
  4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I always liked the Barber half dollar.

Copper lover and capthank like this.
  5. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

That's a nice William IV 2/6d you have there. 1834 if I had to guess?

6. YoloBagels

With the massive amount of slick barbers there are I would rather have problem coins with nice details than problem free slicks.

They are one of the most underrated US coins IMO. Just cause the obverse is not very strong. The reverse is one of the best on us coins IMO.
    Close but no cigar, it's an 1836 haha. Bought at melt almost 5 years ago now.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That 1903 half is high VF details. You'd have no problem flipping it for a profit somewhere like eBay.

A lot of collector view "details" as a badge of shame. I'm not one of them.

MIGuy and YoloBagels like this.
  8. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

1836? That's not a bad purchase for melt or any William IV 2/6d for that matter.

YoloBagels likes this.
  9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

With exception of the scratches on the '03 and the ding just opposite of the eye on '09 they are very nice coins and keepers, in my opinion.

YoloBagels likes this.
  10. YoloBagels

Just like you I don't care so much about details coins as long as it's fairly priced. I can understand why people have discontent with them though, especially if it's a $1000+ coin.

Unfortunately it has a graffiti mark "X" on William's neck. When I first bought it I had no idea what it was, I was under the impression that it was George III until I eventually realized it was the latin name for William.

I don't see any serious dings on the 1909 half, the mark to the left of eye is just part of the design. Someday when I have more money for coins I'll buy a nice MS64 barber half.

MIGuy likes this.
  11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Nice to get out and mingle with like minded individuals, isn't it?

MIGuy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted