LCS Pickups #4 (Coin Show Edition)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by YoloBagels, Apr 17, 2021.

1. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

Today I had a very fun time at the GNA show in Dalton, GA. It was much bigger than last time I visited as there were 500+ tables (acc. to the website). Was a lot of fun getting to meet with some people I haven't seen in a while and see what coins dealers had.

Anyways, here's what I got. Tried to take the best pics I could but some were kinda difficult. meh

First is the crown jewel of the coins I bought today. I want to reveal the grade, but I actually am going to do a GTG thread first. I'll post the grade here when that's over. I compared it to other coins of the same grade and it beat all the others in strike, surfaces, and luster IMO. Have been meaning to get a nice SLQ for a while but today I finally did it. It's in an OGH too :D

(Obv scratch going from L to the neck is on the holder BTW)

25C.1928.png

Next I bought this NGC MS65 1957 Franklin half for $45. That's a little high for such a common date/grade but I fell in love with the color and figured it would beat the one I have in the type set. I did find however that imaging it accurately proves difficult.

"Normal" Pic:
    546765464356.png

"Colorful" Pic (Still not as nice as in person IMO):

435365434565.png

For $59 I picked up this 1887 VAM 11 (R4) Morgan Dollar. It has this frosty PL look with some discoloration from improper storage. I will probably dip it and post results, I feel it will clean up nicely and hopefully reveal some stronger PL contrast.

84894894894894.png
    156564564864894894894894894.png

Next an 1832 Capped Bust Half Dime. I actually almost bought one in AU55 but it had that overdipped look so I skipped it. Found this one at $6 and with those details, why not? Beats the one I have in my album now.

5C.1832.png

Bought a 2021 Tuskeegee Airmen (D) Roll for $14. I know I probably overpaid but I really like WW2 airplanes so at $14 I don't give a flying focke-wulf fw 190.

20210417_180900.jpg

But last and definitely not least, at the flattering price of three dollars and zero cents, I found an 1864-M 10 Cent from the (French Occupation) Mexican Empire under Maximilian. Found it in a junk bin and at first my heart skipped a beat as I thought it was a coin of Iturbide (saw the eagle first). Even though it was the cheapest coin of the show it does hit a soft spot for me as I love the look of the Mexican eagle during 1824-1908. Especially with the little crown.

10C.1864.png

So if you actually read through all that thank you, as you can see I had a lot of fun today and got some good stuff. Any thoughts/comments are appreciated!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Wow, nice haul. Good purchases, and a very nice variety!

YoloBagels likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I think the 'Red Tails' were more than a match for those boys......'specially in their P-51's. :)

YoloBagels likes this.
  5. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Very nice, @YoloBagels. I wish that I could've gone.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    YoloBagels likes this.
  6. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Very nice haul. You gotta love the variety you find at large shows.

YoloBagels likes this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

Nice variety! I like the SLQ. The Mexican coin is cool too, especially for the price!

8. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

You have a good eye..nice cherry picking...careful dipping that 1887...!

9. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Love that Morgan! Nice finds!

10. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Thank you for the kind comments guys, I dipped the 1887 earlier and it came out pretty well. A little less PL than I would've liked but seeing as I didn't destroy the coin I'm not complaining.

Very happy with the results of this show. I went in not really knowing what I wanted and came out with something I enjoy and will probably keep in my type set for a long time.

11. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

nice buys and thanks for the report.

Draft saved Draft deleted