LCS owner prefers VINEGAR over acetone for PVC residue?!?!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by hotwheelsearl, Dec 11, 2019.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I went to a NLCS (Non-local, since it's like an hour away).

There, I saw the owner using pipe cutters to snip his way through a plastic dime tube that had completely degraded and was bonded to the dimes inside.

The mercuries he pulled out were completely covered with blue-green PVC residue. Looks nasty.

So I say, "wow, those look pretty rough. But acetone will take that stuff off right quick!"

To which he said, "oh no, I never use acetone since it's too rough and leaves an unnatural surface. Instead, I use vinegar since it's more gentle on the surface"

Whoaaa there, last time I checked acetone was a polar solvent, while vinegar is a weak acid.

When I had a Morgan with a little bit of green PVC on it, I posted about it here on CT and the resounding opinion was to soak it in a bit of acetone for a while. After a couple hours, the PVC was completely gone and the original surface was unaffected.

Won't vinegar really damage silver coins?

ripple, serafino and Maxfli like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I remember getting the same response from a dealer at a coin show one time (the "acetone is too harsh" part). I assumed he misheard me, and thought I'd said "acid".

Having said that, though, I wouldn't trust a dealer who (a) hasn't heard of acetone and (b) thinks vinegar is a good idea for anything other than restoring dates on nickels (leaving them as detail coins in the process).

4. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

That would be the last time I took that dealer seriously. I mean if he really thinks vinegar is better than acetone he is very behind the times and is ruining his inventory. How many coins in his case have been soaked in vinegar? You might as well soak then in urine! Unfortunate if this is your only coin shop option in your area. If you have other coin shops you can go to I’d stay clear of that one.

Reed.

Spark1951, hotwheelsearl and Jaelus like this.
  5. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Also, the earth is flat.

I'm continually amazed by how many people in this hobby, even professionals, ignore science and cling to myths.

Stork, MaryK, serafino and 1 other person like this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's definitely not a good idea, but really damage them ? Not unless you leave the coins in it for a quite a while.

Ya gotta remember that for decades there were countless "home remedies" used by dealers and collectors alike. You can find suggestions for the use of these home remedies in books written by some of the biggest and most respected names in numismatics. Granted, some of the books were written decades ago, when the knowledge that is commonly known today was known only to a few. Now I'm not making excuses for them but some folks have a really hard time accepting newer ideas in place of doing what they have been taught all their lives by people they trust.

And when ya throw in some of the nonsense that you can find on the internet - well, it's no wonder that some folks do what they do and believe some of the things they believe.

I would also add that just because somebody is a coin dealer, that doesn't really mean he's very good at his job or very knowledgeable at all when it comes to coins. He may also be quite good in some areas but sadly lacking in others.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let it be a throw the baby out with the bath water situation - don't totally discount the dealer because he does 1 thing that you happen to know better about. He may be good at detecting problem coins or counterfeits, or offer fair deals at fair prices, he may be able to find hard to find coins for you. The list goes on.

You'll also find dealers who will say that dipping a coin, any coin, is a cardinal sin - in spite of the fact that more coins have been saved from certain destruction by dipping them than any other thing that can be done. But that doesn't necessarily make them a bad dealer.

CamaroDMD, GSDykes, Paul M. and 3 others like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That dealer is entitled to their opinion but I wouldn't buy from them.

enamel7 and 352sdeer like this.
  8. hotwheelsearl

I like the store because they have really good prices and I always get a little discount every time.

I bought $9 worth of foreign paper money and the dealer said “$9... let’s call it $7!”

He seems like the type of person to give really good prices for bullion, from what I’ve seen in the past.

But maybe I’ll stay away from anything in the display that’s been soaked in vinegar

9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Run Forrest Run

mlov43 likes this.
  10. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Well if it’s a shop you’ve been going to for awhile and have a history of good purchases I’d feel better about going there in the future. Like you said just stay away from anything that may have been cleaned buy the shop owner. Sounds like you’ve gotten some good deals from them in the past so shop on!

Reed.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Since @hotwheelsearl you've Now stated that you've bought from him before and he gives you discounts I can only agree with Reed. Just be careful about that shiny stuff you buy. Lol

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  12. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

It's not much difference than a dip in E-Zest except acetic acid is much weaker than sulfuric acid. If you leave your coin too long in either, it's toast. Acetone is more abrasive than acetone which is neutral and does not damage the surfaces of silver.

13. -jeffB

Um...

1) E-Z-Est is different, because it's got thiourea in addition to the acid. It acts specifically on the silver sulfide that forms tarnish, although it does contain sulfuric acid that can damage a coin's surface with long exposure.

2) Acetone isn't more anything than acetone. Did you mean "acid" in one case?

3) Neither acetone nor acid is abrasive. Acids can be corrosive.

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Vinegar is an acid and not considered a safe way to clean coins.

Maybe he wanted to say acetone/ acetic acid?

Spark1951 and hotwheelsearl like this.
  15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

EZ-est also has thiourea which is a chelating agent to break up the silver tarnish and carry it away from the silver. Unfortunately this reaction requires an acidified solution to work and the concentration of acid in the solution is intended to make it 'fast'. Dilution of the acid slows it down significantly and allows better control.

Straight acid does not do that, so the tarnish loci can reattach in the smaller depression. IMO, Jim

Damn Jeff, you are fast. Should be a moderator! Jim

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  16. -jeffB

Bite your tongue. :eek:

Cheech9712 likes this.
  17. hotwheelsearl

Everything’s abrasive if you rub it

Brina likes this.
  18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I once had a dealer friend that used a dilution of vinegar and water. After a quick soak/bath be would hold the coin by the edges and swish it around in a dilution of soda and water. Next he would rinse the coin with lots of water.
    He had great short term results with no damage to the luster. I don't know what the coins looked like long term.

I always did water first, acetone second. A dilution of dip was my last choice and that was only for silver coins that I felt could be helped.

The tough part is learning what coins can be helped and when to just leave the coin as is.

buckeye73 likes this.
  19. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Vinegar and a pinch of salt will make all your copper coins nice and shiny. It's also useful for your copper plated pots and pans. LOL

Yeah, but maybe not for coins ... ;)

20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Lemon juice and salt will instantly shine copper after a short soak.
    ONLY use this for jewelry and not coins.
    I will use it on pressed coins, although most of those are copper coated zinc.
    But I had a copper bracelet I tested this on, and it really works.
    The problem is many people new to the hobby will ruin coins this way
    not knowing, because the copper will be nice and shiny.

21. -jeffB

I'll defer to your actual experience, but I'd expect a pressed Zincoln to foam up like a rabid dog if you dipped it in lemon juice and salt. Between the acidity, the high conductivity, and the chloride ions, I'd expect the exposed zinc to dissolve rapidly, and I'd be nervous about getting enough of the chloride off to protect the piece against humidity going forward. (The zinc should protect the copper layer as it rots away, but after exposure to acid chloride I wouldn't even count on that.)

Edit to add: Chloride ions plus any other oxidizer, even air, can definitely attack copper. You don't even need the acid, but it does speed things along. Keep the salt away from copper, unless you want to keep cleaning the piece repeatedly until it's completely corroded away.

Draft saved Draft deleted