LCS junk bin selection

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by expat, May 6, 2022.

1. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Had a bit of fun picking out some coins. The Lincoln cent I posted seperately in errors as it is a nice MAD. At 30 coins for 1 Euro it was good fun. The rest were made up of different dates of the tiny aluminum 1 Peseta on the right.
    20220506_181741 (2).jpg 20220506_181958 (2).jpg

mlov43, MIGuy, tibor and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I love that a 1979 LMC is a world coin for you :)
    Also, that French 20 Centimes is beautiful. Old French coins had great artistry.

Heavymetal, MIGuy, CaptainMac and 2 others like this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Lol, yeah, US collectors always have a hard time understanding that to 99.9% of the world US coins are "world coins". Not laughing at you sir, it trips me up too. US collectors are simply so wrapped up with their own coins, (much more so than any other coin collectors on earth), that this never crosses their mind. :)

mlov43, Heavymetal, Insider and 3 others like this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The one thing world collectors need to know is in the US world coins never held value for the most part do to their material they were made from. ....
    The US mint did mint coins for circulating that still had a percentage of silver up to 40 % until 1968...
    Given exchange rates...and The fact that the US is a distance from European countries and Asia countries collecting world specimens wasn't on the American collector radar.
    Now add in the fact air travel linking the world for travel, WWll veterns sharing items that were obtained durring the war. Opened up the collecting of other countries other than US.
    Also marketing as a YN you could find a lot of US coins in magazines like coin world, and other's like Numismatic news etc..
    To give you another scenario Civil War Tokens...as a YN I could walk in any LCS and purchase CWT's for pennies on the dollar...the same tokens that sat in the old cigar box....that basically the junk box.
    Now some comand hundreds of dollars in value.

So I do attribute travel, materials, as well a different time....and better education made Americans more aware of what they were missing.
    Then add in the fact that CWT and store cards,and other tokens now have a strong following....because their values and rairity.
    I personally have always enjoyed world coins and money. However the focus today on these in my collection is higher than ever in the years I have collected.
    Probably from my researching and love of history.

expat, spirityoda and furryfrog02 like this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I buy this some, but not wholly. I believe US collectors wanted to be more dedicated to US coins due to unknown reasons. I believe we kind of had a chip on our shoulders on how new our country was, which is why we went down to individual die level to differentiate our early coinage to make it seem like we had more variety than we really did. Even in countries similar to us usually have more collectors collecting more variety of coins than most US collectors do. Mail has been reliable for over 170 years, making collecting from anywhere in the world easily achievable.

Not trying to throw stones, I collected US coins almost exclusively for about 20 years. At some point I knew most of the history for all of it and was bored, so then moved to ancients which naturally lead to more world coins, as the cutoff is very arbitrary. Basically I collect knowledge of history with coins driving me, and I ran out of US history to study.

-jeffB, The Eidolon and Mr. Flute like this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Love that 1949 50 pfennig

mlov43 and Kentucky like this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

One of my faves

mlov43 likes this.
  9. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Nice haul! Are those Swiss 1/2 Francs still legal tender?
    At 0.96 Euro per Swiss Franc, 0.03 Eurocents is a bargain for a half!

10. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Still legal tender. I don't think the LCS owner can be bothered about low value items. He also doesn't research much which suits me just fine as I have a few Ikes that are silver that he threw in with clads. But nothing gets past him when it comes to old Spanish coinage, mores the pity, LOL

MIGuy and The Eidolon like this.
  11. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I even found a Swiss 5 franc piece in junk bin once. Even that would be too much work for a dealer to exchange for dollars.

The Eidolon and expat like this.
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Pulled lots of hundred yen coins out for 5/$1

The Eidolon likes this.
  13. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Yep. The image of the woman planting the tree is very medallic in appearance. I think this lends to its attractiveness.

Kentucky likes this.
  14. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Same thing happened to counterstamped US coins. From "damaged" junk box material to often commanding hefty premiums.

15. offa the saxon

offa the saxon Well-Known Member

It totally depends on where you live as to what you call foreign coins, I live in the UK and all other countries coins are foreign to me yes even the Irish issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted