latest wolf and twins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Victor_Clark, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I see the chi-rho appears above the wolf and twins. I think that motif only occurred at Arles. Is there some speculation that the Ostrogothic coin is modeled on an Arelatum exemplar, or are the Ostrogoths arriving at that motif on their own?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Athalaric gave the Senate the right to strike coinage, so they probably picked the design themselves. Which is ironic since the Senate was mostly pagan when the Arles type was originally issued, but 200 years later, they seem to be making a positive Christian statement.

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  4. john-charles

john-charles Member

More than that. While reading about pandemics and plagues, I saw that it is believed that the rat population of Europe plummeted with the fall of Rome.

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  5. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I like the write-s about the Antique coins from around Italy. I was fortunate to half a father in the Army, and we made two trips to Rome. I was about 8 when I first visited Rome, Pisa, and to the Mediterranean Sea. We stayed in a hotel that was facing the Apian Way and I remember seeing the statue of Romulus and Remus on the top of some pillars. I may get the details a little off. After all, I was 8 and that was in 1955. When we got to the Mediterranean Sea, there were several U.S. Navy War Ships. It made me proud to be an American. We were treated very well by the citizens of Italy. Eleven years later, I was able to take a trip around Europe. I had just graduated from high school from a U.S. Military high school in Verdun, France. We lived in Dormitories because the base (and many other bases) was too far to commute to school. Our dormitories had been part of a U.S. hospital during WW II. There was barbed wire surrounding the dormitories. I thought the fence was there to protect us from the French citizens, however, it seems that they were more afraid of what we might do to them.
    Sorry for my travelogue. I use to collect coins when I lived in foreign countries. I was a missionary in Uruguay for 2 years and had a very nice collection of coins. I do have some Uruguay 10 Pesos bills from 1967 that are in consecutive serial numbers and crisp as the day they were issued. Are they worth much.
    Thanks, guys.
    Happy Father's Day to all you Fathers.

Bing likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted