Latest Score of Constitutional Silver

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by WildWest, May 22, 2019.

1. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

It's a misnomer.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. WildWest

WildWest Obsessive Compulsive Disarry

Then so is the term “junk silver”. It’s far from junk and is highly collectible, has value and has a limited..getting smaller every day..supply.

From JM bullion https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.jmbullion.com/fine-silver-or-junk-silver/

SD Bullion https://sdbullion.com/silver/junk-silver/90-constitutional-junk-silver

Many upon many other LCS, youtubers and collectors prefer the term Constitutional Silver and Gold because it basically means...silver or gold coins minted by the government intended for currency. Which is exactly what they are. I recently went to a coin show and saw several signs labeling the stuff “Constitutional”. This isn’t a term I just made up.

If people don’t want to use the term and prefer 90% or junk, then perfect. All 3 work for me.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  4. onecenter

onecenter Member

"Then so is the term “junk silver”. It’s far from junk and is highly collectible, has value and has a limited..getting smaller every day..supply."

Amen to that!

WildWest likes this.
  5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I didn't say you made it up. I didn't say it wasn't commonly used. It's just an inconsequential misnomer, kind of like using penny instead of cent. Relax.

6. WildWest

WildWest Obsessive Compulsive Disarry

Gotcha. And I’m totally relaxed:)

7. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

I never heard the term before, but neither do I do travel much in those social circles. I get the point though. How else would we differentiate US 90% from all the other "junk" silver one-ounce and fractional rounds and bars out there, many of which carry the words United States, Liberty, etc. It seems OK to me.

But I also understand the subtext that the old silver and gold coins were real money and Federal Reserve Notes are not. I do not agree with that theory now, although I accepted it for decades.

WildWest likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted