Latest Roma aquisition

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by tartanhill, Apr 17, 2020.

1. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

I just won this in the latest Roma auction. I have been giving my five grand kids an ancient coin each Christmas while trying to keep the cost of each coin around $100 or less. With the big flood of Alexander tets that have come on the market, I have seen a small decrease in the hammer prices for these coins in auctions. So I thought this would be an opportunity to pick up some of these for this Christmas. The coin below did not cost $100 or less but was close. When I looked closely at the pictures of the coin, it looked as though someone had tooled it and then covered the tooled area with some sort of darkening agent. This still didn't stop me from wanting the coin. Does anyone else at CT see what I see? If my suspicions are correct, should I try to remove whatever darkened the tooled areas or leave it as is? What could I use to remove the darkening? Thanks for any comments.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Leave it as is. It's attractive and I don't think you will make it look better. BTW, what is the weight and dimension?

galba68 and Alegandron like this.
  4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I don't see any horn silver. I think that is a beauty right thar my friend. Good as is. Is she a lifetime??

Alegandron likes this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coin. Let it stay as it is preferably.

Alegandron likes this.
  6. tartanhill

Yes, I should have remembered this. A little underweight??

Kingdom of Macedon, Kassander AR Tetradrachm. In the name and types of Alexander III. Amphipolis, circa 310-307 BC. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin headdress / Zeus Aëtophoros seated left, holding sceptre; Λ above T above torch in left field, monogram below throne. Price 440A; Müller 56. 16.73g, 26mm, 10h.

galba68 likes this.
  7. tartanhill

Not sure about lifetime. But straight legs and no BASILEOUS.

Ryro likes this.
  8. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

If the dark spots are from sulfur then you can safely remove with the baking soda, aluminum foil, and hot water process. I don’t suggest it though because the dark areas you have add to the eye appeal.

9. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Not quite lifetime. Struck 315-294 BC. Price 440, Amphipolis mint.

Ryro likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted