Latest finds in a box of quarters - silver and fake

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GTeachman, Apr 1, 2018.

1. GTeachman

GTeachman New Member

Hello,

Going thru a box of Washington quarter rolls last night I found two quarters that spiked my adrenaline a little. A silver 1944 plain and a good piece of metal working, i.e. a fake with two current obverse sides. The 1944 silver was the first silver anything that I've found in years. That was interesting enough to keep me going. Then I found a current obverse and when I turned it over (looking for national park quarters) I saw another head. I figured I had not really flipped it. So, I took a closer look. Sure enough, a two-headed quarter with the 'D' mint mark. One side was nice and shinny the other side showed some wear. When I flipped it over from south to north, the orientation was incorrect. I looked at the rim and sure enough one half was copper the other nickle with a kerf line where the two met. Whomever did this has some serious metal working skills. I've attached a series of pictures. The middle picture is looking at the rims of three current quarters. The middle layer of the sandwich clearly shows the kerf and two different pieces of bread.

Attached Files:

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

You might be able to split the two pieces in half. I have found one years ago that is much more deceptive.

Draft saved Draft deleted