Latest eBay BIN "gamble"...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by -jeffB, May 27, 2015.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

...stayed up for several minutes longer than I would've expected, long enough for me to snag it:

American Coin and Paper Money Collection

This listed with a BIN price of $700 + $32 shipping, which put it out of the range of a lot of casual BIN campers, but there was perhaps a bit too much stuff there for the high-rollers to sort through quickly.

The contents, for those who don't want to waste time squinting at pictures that aren't really large enough to show much detail:

3 Peace dollars
    14 Morgan dollars
    23 Ikes -- maybe all clad, can't be sure
    8 lower-grade or cull IHCs
    53 Kennedys, mostly 40%, although I see a few 1964s
    36 Walkers
    4 gold-plated bicentennial sets (Ike, half, quarter)
    20 Franklins
    8 silver Washington quarters
    16 low-grade nickels, including 2 V-nicks, a shield, and the balance Buffs
    22 $1 silver certs
    4 $2 US notes
    4 $5 US notes
    one $10 silver cert

I don't see anything high-grade or likely to be a key date, but a quick calculation based on Provident's generic buy prices on the silver and the face value of the Ikes, small change, and paper put the total of this lot somewhere pretty close to $900. I'm eager to see if there are any surprises in the lot, but I figure I've already "made my money when I bought" here...

Copper56, rooman9, miedbe7 and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Not my kind of lot, but I hope you have fun searching through your treasure when it arrives. :)

4. Twobit

Twobit Active Member

Nice buy no matter how you slice it.
    Looks like lotsa goodies.

5. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Great pickup :)

I love those newly listed BIN's. Have gotten ridiculously good deals like that, though I look at the world coins category, the US coins one is a bit too busy and also not my specialty.

Plus it's not listed as bullion so you get some decent ebay bucks

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Doesn't sound like much of a gamble to me . . . sounds like a sure thing.

9. -jeffB

Well, the "gamble" part is that it may not come through at all, in which case I get to spend a bit of time with eBay customer service before I get my money back, or that it may contain fakes, ditto. Little to no financial risk, other than tying up "discretionary" money, but a possibility of lost time and disappointment.

In another thread, I mentioned a BIN lot of 31 ASEs that I bought last week for $480 shipped. On that one, I haven't heard a peep from the seller -- no shipping info, no response to my follow-up earlier this week -- so I'm expecting that it'll be a no-show. I've already budgeted for the disappointment there. :rolleyes:

silentnviolent and Paul M. like this.
  10. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Check those Ikes. I see two star notes ($1 and $2) and I think I see a 21 Walker in the bottom right hand corner. Nice pickup!!

edit: also a 1917 Walker well worn tho

edit 2: nope, that's a 41, sorry if I gave you a heartattack

edit 3: 1868 shield nickel has some denticles left as well ... that could be nice

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  11. Copper56

Copper56 Active Member

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

13. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

Funny how everything in there was perfectly placed. A lot of gullible people will be bidding on that one.

14. Copper56

Copper56 Active Member

Sorry for getting away from -JeffB's sharing of his original good fortune.
    These were just posted as other possibilities on the listing page of his win..

Anyway, one more. With this lot its unbelievable this guy has only 11 negs.
    He actually states in description that buyer "will not receive anything in the picture" yet he has sold over 3k of them!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTATE-SALE...LLION-MONEY-COLLECTION-50-YEARS-/281416159379

15. -jeffB

Yep, there are a LOT of recurring listings that I've just learned not to see. But the "coin jar" auctions weren't showing up on my radar anyhow, because they're not BINs, and for whatever reason they don't show up in my "ending soon" searches. I've seen the CoinTalk threads about them, though. I would've found them enticing myself, earlier; learning about such traps is one part of the large debt of gratitude I owe to the participants here. :)

16. -jeffB

Yeah, I see one well-worn 1917 and one apparently unreadable date. Maybe that latter one will turn out to be a 1921-D once I've got it in-hand, but I'm not counting on it. :rolleyes:

I don't know much about shield nickels, but I'll be researching this one. That's another thing I like about lots -- they often lead me to learn about something I hadn't previously found interesting.

17. -jeffB

Well, it came in today, and I've made a first pass through most of it.

The 1917 Walker is a 17-S reverse, but worn down to AG. No other interesting dates.

The Morgans included a lot of cleaned coins (of course) -- but one of them was an 1878-CC! And there's an 1897-O that's still got a lot of luster. More on that later.

There was a bag with a few silver dimes that didn't show up in the listing, including an 1853-arrows, VF details or so, old cleaning.

The Ikes were all clad.

The Kennedy halves included 6 1964s.

The paper money included a 1936 yellow-seal, and a couple of notes in pretty nice condition (most were beaters, including the star notes).

There were also 15 rolls of wheats. I've gone through 5; the usual mix of mostly 50s, some 40s, a few earlier, a couple of later S-mints.

More as I have time...

miedbe7 likes this.
  18. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Dump them all together into an "unsearched bag" and resell them on eBay!

Just kidding. Sounds like a pretty good haul.

19. -jeffB

Not yet -- I've only gone through, er, I mean, made sure the ends were still tight on about half the rolls. :rolleyes:

Not a quarter-eagle in the bunch, at least so far. So at least I know the guy didn't buy these rolls on eBay...

20. Stephan77

Stephan77 Well-Known Member

I didn't see any winners there, mostly culls and fillers, but for the price, and the silver content alone from what you say, why not? Good stocking stuffers for the young collectors if nothing else.

21. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

How bout the 1878-CC Morgan Dollar ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted