Latest buy. 1921 Morgan. Unique to say the least.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DysfunctionalVeteran, Oct 14, 2016.

1. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

Enjoy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Chuga chuga chuga chuga... Choo choo! :)

charlietig likes this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

My first thought, after seeing the obverse only: surprised that made it into a slab with all that rim damage.

My second thought, after seeing the reverse: wow!

My final thought: neat score. :)

5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Interesting, what affect on value?

Edit: It looks nice, but maybe 58 is a little generous? ( beside the point, I know ):)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I must say that this is the coolest 1921 Morgan I've ever seen.

Chris

7. DysfunctionalVeteran

I'd like to get it slabbed with the reverse facing front. To me the reverse shows the most dramatic effect and should be the main part of the coin looked at.

Just my opinion.

I was going after this one but it crossed my threshold of price and I couldn't let emotions take over. I think I major dealer bought it and it'll end up at a big auction.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I'd rather have the TPC for sure! And if you want it reverse out its just a simple reslab with the request

9. DysfunctionalVeteran

I bought it from a guy who has a brick n mortar, online, and eBay store. His eBay auction prices are inflated about 15% above his online store to make up for fees.

I'll usually check his eBay and online store monthly to see what they. He has some really cool die adjustment strike & misaligned die but I don't have $4,000 for the error.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Santinidollar and charlietig like this.
  10. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

nice error want one

11. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I was watching that too. I would have paid more for it but forgot it was ending today. Very sad I missed it.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I'm having problems understanding how the OP coin could be a tilted partial collar, It is clearly out of round, but the part that extends out the most, which would be the part outside of the collar, has a reeded edge which could only form INSIDE the collar. This looks to me from the image, more like a PSD coin.

13. DysfunctionalVeteran

I'm not sure if that's reeding you are seeing or if that's actually the denticles. PCGS explanation might be incorrect though. I see what looks like a double strike. Check the denticles on the bottom. Superdave doesn't think so but what would double the denticles/reeding on the obverse and reverse?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

On the closeups of the reverse, just above the U you can see the tips of the denticals. In the beveled area above the UN I see what look like squashed denticals (They show better in the image where the eagle is upright.) But the extreme outer edge from the N in NE to the T in UNIT, THOSE are reeds. If something were to hit the rim at an oblique angle it could cause that bevel and crushed denticals, push the edge out like that,and the force flatten the denticals on the obverse by mashing the rim of the coin against another flat surface. I can't see how they would be caused by a tilted partial collar. I could be wrong, but all I have to go on are the images.

The only minting type error I can think of that would let a section extend out like that and still be reeded would be a broken collar where the collar cracked completely through in two places and the whole piece of the collar shifted outward. The lack of pressure as the metal expanded outward during the strike then MIGHT cause that distorted rim.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Similar to what I mentioned to the OP when we discussed it prior to the purchase. It's complicated by the fact that the broken collar would have to have deflected upward, the obverse being the hammer die. Question: Is the ejection mechanism strong enough to bend the coin upon ejection if there's something in its' way?

Draft saved Draft deleted