Latest Ancient

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

My latest ancient just came today. Probably one of my favorites yet.

I selected it due to the great front portrait and I thought the crack did give it some character.

[​IMG]

Silver denarius, RIC IV 238A, RSC 242, VF, 3.313g, 19.6mm, 180o, Rome mint, 214 A.D.; obverse ANTONINVS PIVS AVG GERM, laureate head right; reverse P M TR P XVII COS IIII P P, Apollo seated left, branch in right and resting left elbow on lyre set on tripod; well centered, excellent portrait of the monstrous emperor; scarce

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

A face only a mother could love - and considering their history I might question that one.

He was cuter back when:

Attached Files:

4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

5. Eyestrain

Eyestrain Junior Member

This is my favourite Caracalla portrait from my collection. The expression seems to capture more than the usual nasty-piece-of-work sneer we typically see from him.
    2786LG.jpg

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

wow! nice one. I hae yet to get a nice one or Caracala

Attached Files:

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Those are cool. :)

8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Nice!! :)

9. Nummus_Superbus

Nummus_Superbus Numismatist from Mars**

Great portrait on that silver denarius :)

10. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Nice coin, great portrait....Ah... yes I love the Caracalla silver coins... here are a few of mine... I especially fancy the antoninianus.

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Those are very nice:)

12. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Thank you.. I rarely see the Caracalla Antoninianii with the forward facing obverse portrait....I think the side facing portrait looks nicer... and I have seen a few with what looks like armour instead of drapery on the back of the emperor.... those are my favourite...

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

One point I find interesting is that the last portraits of Caracalla from TRP XX have slightly more mellow expressions compared to some of the ones from a year or two before. Of the ones in my collection, I like this with the appropriate Pluto reverse.

Attached Files:

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

^Thats a really cool coin. And that is interesting, never noticed.

15. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

really nice coins, how can i get ancient coins like that? for a small price of course:D

16. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

If you want real and cheap check out http://bargainbinancients.com/

17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

can find good deals at vcoins.com :)

18. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

thanks, i will look into those websites. love the ancient coins ;)

19. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

yeah, dougsmit.... that is the obverse i was thinking of where his cuirass looks armoured on his back... if you note on my caracalla antoninianus, his head is in profile, yet his body seems to face front, as opposed to yours in which his body and head are both in profile.... i see both styles out there ... i prefer the portrait style like yours...mainly because of the sweet cuirass.

20. FrankPlantagenet

FrankPlantagenet New Member

Thanks, I hate modern stuff..

Draft saved Draft deleted