Latest Alexandrian, Instagram

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I recently added a new Valerian I Tetradrachm from a fellow collector whom I interact with on Instagram.

I loved the look of the coin as it had what looks like some silvering left on it, something I never had on other Valarian I Tets I have owned over the years.

I was hesitant to buy it since I always stuck with Ebay or other online dealers & fellow collectors here on CT or PCGS Boards.

I got it for a great price & had a pleasant experience.

It is a scarcer version of him compared to the eagle reverses I have owned in the past.

I can see that many younger collectors have been using Instagram for sharing and purchasing. The person I got this from is 16 & knows his stuff.

[​IMG]
    Valerian I (253 - 260 A.D.)
    Egypt, Alexandria
    Billon Tetradrachm
    O: A K Π ΛI OVAΛEPIANOC EV EVC, Laureate and cuirassed bust right
    R: Tyche seated left, holding rudder and cornucopia; L Δ (Year 4, 256/7 A.D.) to upper left.
    10.54g
    24mm
    Köln 2867; Dattari (Savio) 5174; K&G 88.28; Emmett 3721.4.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Really nice coin, very interesting how alot of the tetradrachms seemingly merged with Roman coinage.

What's your @? If you don't mind sharing it. I've been seeing a lot of ancients on insta lately.
    And yes Instagram is swarming with YNs. A while back I did a small survey on YNs in each community, Instagram came in at 58% 18 and younger as opposed to Cointalk's 8.8%.

4. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Great coin! We’ve gotten a few new YN members at the Coin Club. I can see how these Alexandrian Tets can be so addicting! CC547592-098F-489F-BE03-91BC9359917B.jpeg 94E94DE4-059E-4006-BD40-5383686B6C2F.jpeg
    Valerian Egypt, Alexandria
    Regnal year 5, 257/8CE
    Laureate bust right
    Tyche standing left, hand on rudder, holding cornucopia; L E across fields
    Ref: Emmett 3720.5; Milne 3970; Dattari 5173 (thanks again, TIF!)

Tough to get good images, the coin is very dark, and the high relief makes it difficult.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is a very nice Valerian. My Valerian is the common eagle so I'll show a Gallienus with Eirene struck the year before your coin. YN? Well, the dealer from whom I bought it is extremely young for being over 85 and still doing shows like he did for the thirty years I have known him. It is great to be young and greater to stay that way for as long as you can.
    pa2587bb3151.jpg

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Oh man, kids love the instatwitters and all that stuff don't they.

That is a great looking tet @Mat , got some sweet silvering on it!

Nvb likes this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coins Nathan and Doug.

Nathan401 likes this.
  8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice one, Mat. Don't have a Valerian, but here's the ol' x6 tet of his grandson, Saloninus. Yup, it's an eagle reverse. :shame:

Saloninus - Alexandria Tetradrachm Eagle 2803.jpg
    SALONINUS
    Potin Tetradrachm. 13.0g, 24mm. EGYPT, Alexandria, RY 7 of Valerian I and Gallienus (AD 259/60). Emmett 3777; Dattari (Savio) 5377. O: ΠO ΛI KOP CA VAΛЄPIANOC K CЄB, bareheaded, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: Eagle standing left, head right, holding wreath in beak; L Z (date) across field.
    Ex Stevex6 Collection (CNG E-311, 25 Sep 2013, lot 948); ex Robert M. Harlick Collection (CNG E-281, 20 June 2012, lot 253)

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Fantastic new coin, Mat! I'd have never thought to look at Instagram for coin purchases. Hmm.

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

^Thanks, Tif.
    A fantastic example. Mine is on the other end of the spectrum.

[​IMG]
    Saloninus (258 - 260 A.D.)
    Egypt, Alexandria
    Billon Tetradrachm
    O: PO LI KORCA VALERIANOC K CEB, Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    R: Eagle standing left, head turned, holding wreath, L Z(?) in fields.
    23.3mm
    7.38g
    Köln 3005; Dattari (Savio) 5377; K&G 93.8; Emmett 3776.7.

11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

That is a pretty nice one, cool addition!

13. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Supremely nice Tet @Mat and I love the reverse. I’ve had a growing interest in Alexandrian Tets and have been trying to avoid the simple eagle reverses. Interesting how you scored this one and I guess I’ll have to check out what’s going on at “Instagram” as it never has occurred to me that there might be a market there. -d

Draft saved Draft deleted