Late Roman imitation

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, May 30, 2016.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Late Roman AE was very commonly imitated in the Constantinian era. However, imitations of Valentinian through Honorius are not so commonly available. Last year I got three unusual "Vota" imitations. Today I put them on my page of imitations of Valentinian and later and improved the layout of that page:

http://esty.ancients.info/imit/imitRICIX.html

Here is one. This tiny coin is only 9 mm and 0.42 grams.

imitVOT1o.JPG imitVOT1r.JPG
    The type: VOT X MVLT XX
    Type 26 on the late Roman AE page. It was struck for Gratian, Valentinian II, Theodosius, and Arcadius. Usually it is about 13 mm and a gram and a half. This one, at 9 mm and only 0.46 grams. is much smaller.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Love your web page Warren, and this coin is very interesting.

4. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Awesome Imitation, any idea as to the region or was it circulating alongside the normal coinages? Where they hoarded together and valued on its weight?

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Ditto! Go through it all the time. Lately, when I find the cool item I want, the text is in purple! Sold! Cool stuff goes fast... :)

6. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I save pedigrees, at least back to the dealer, but these three came from a collector from whom I was unable to get any records at all.

7. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

BTW- just went through...love the page.

8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Cool and interesting as usual !!!

9. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Could this be a superior example of what is commonly sold as "Vandal imitations" on ebay? Those I have seen are all quite deteriorated but they seem to be similar in style to this example.
    Also, on a more serious point: do we have any real reason to attribute these to the Vandals? North African hoards maybe?

Draft saved Draft deleted