Late Night Barber Quarter Searching

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by HULLCOINS, Aug 25, 2020.

1. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

Spending some time going through my Barber quarters and came across this 1908 D... what's going on here? Looks like a bottom serifs of a 1 under the 0 in the date.

IMG_6569.jpg IMG_6571.jpg IMG_6572.jpg IMG_6573.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

There are some 1908 D Barbers that have a Repunched Date. You'll have to investigate to see if you can find a match . I may be seeing an issue with the 8 and 9 too, but it could just be PMD.

Inspector43 and LakeEffect like this.
  4. Nathan F

Nathan F Well-Known Member

This has me stumped. I see the what you're talking about with the one but I don't think though they would over stamp back 10 years and I also feel that you would see some of the one in the centre of the zero. Ill be curious to see if anyone can figure it out!

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I checked BCCS and couldn't find the same one under the 1908: http://www.barbercoins.org/Barber-Quarters-Varieties.shtml

I also don't see anything of the one through the middle, but perhaps I see a top serif at the top of the 0, but it isn't as convincing as the bottom of the 0.

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Interesting look, but the only dates in that series that would have a 1 in that location were 1910-1916 and they were 2 years in the future when your coin was minted. I also agree that artifacts of a "1" would extend above and through the "0". Keep us posted if you find a variety.

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

What I see is PMD. The bottom arc of the 0 has had a hit to the outside at the 5:30 and 6:30 positions. There is a slight loss of material in these positions which accounts for the issue you refer to in the opening thread.

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Barber coins happen upon you with good diligence. If you want to see a score and a half ask @C-B-D about his Bust Dimes.

C-B-D likes this.
  9. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

I am inclined to agree.

Draft saved Draft deleted