Late 19th Century US Gold "Toning" Question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Randy Abercrombie, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

The shot below is the reverse of a half eagle I own. I had always attributed the red haze in the device crannies as jewelers rouge from an old polishing. Not something that concerns me as I don't collect my coins from that perspective..... However I have been seeing other US gold posted here that showed a similar red haze in the devices. Am I misjudging the source of this red haze on old US gold? Could it be the result of some sort of natural toning and not jewelers rouge as I had suspected?

Half Eagle.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Your picture isn’t working right now

4. Randy Abercrombie

Well that's a mystery to me. I just logged out and came back and its here..... Not real sure just what to do about that.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Deleting a double message

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm not seeing the image from my end, either. Did you upload it to CoinTalk, or link it from another site where you'd uploaded it already?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

I copied it from a conversation thread here on CT. I believe when I get home I'll take the photo again and see if I can edit in the new photo.

8. Randy Abercrombie

I just copied and saved it and re-uploaded the image. Hopefully it is there now.

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yes, I see it now. Don't have any useful response for your question :oops:, but I do see the image...

Draft saved Draft deleted