"Last U.S. Coinage of the San Francisco S Mint"

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Leighton Kondrakian, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Leighton Kondrakian

Leighton Kondrakian New Member

My dad had this (photo attached) coin set, titled, "Last U.S. Coinage of the San Francisco S Mint. I've searched the Internet to get an idea of how much it's worth, but can't find anything at all. Do you have an idea, or can refer me somewhere please? Thank you kindly.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

In the 1950s coin collecting was in it’s prime and during this time people started paying particular attention to Date and Mint Mark combinations.

In 1954, the San Francisco Mint was no longer needed to supply the western US with coins as the Denver Mint had capacity to spare and was a much newer facility.

People, knowing that the San Francisco Mint would no longer be producing coins (at least ones with Mint Marks on them) started to set aside coins from that Mint thinking that they would be desirable in the future.

The coins you have are typical of this era of collecting. The coins are unfortunately too common to be worth much premium, however they are nicely preserved and the Dimes, Quarter, and Half are 90% silver.

Eventually, in 1968, the San Francisco Assay Office (later reinstated as a Mint) started producing coins once again with an S Mint Mark.

green18, Penna_Boy and Hookman like this.
  4. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

From the 'net :
    New Mint. The new Mint was opened in 1937. Beginning in 1955, circulating coinage from San Francisco was suspended for 13 years. In 1968, it took over most proof coinage production from the Philadelphia Mint, but continued striking a supplemental circulating coinage from 1968 through 1974.

5. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. The set was put together by someone outside of the US Mint. Before closing in 1955 some coins dated 1955 (Lincoln Cents and Roosevelt Dimes) were produced by the San Francisco Mint.
    https://www.usmint.gov/about/mint-tours-facilities/san-francisco
    The value of your coins depends on the condition/grade of each coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted