Last Two Purchases of 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Dec 29, 2020.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

So I purchased both of these on the 22nd of December from Warren Etsy. He mailed them out the same day and I didn't expect them to arrive until mid January at best and was planning on them being my first coins of 2021.

Imagine my surprise when they arrived yesterday. Only 6 short days to cross the country. Whereas it took almost a full month for my wife's Christmas present to travel 800 miles.

Regardless, I am happy to have them! They were purchased off of his "inexpensive" page. In my opinion, inexpensive doesn't mean garbage and I think these 2 are definitely not garbage.

Please feel free to share anything you deem relevant. Let's finish the last few days of this awful year strong with some great coins!

Arcadius
    AE4
    383-408 AD
    Obverse: DN ARCADIVS PF AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: SALVS REI-PVBLICAE, Victory walking left, holding trophy over shoulder and dragging captive behind her. Chi-Rho in left field
    Ex: Warren Etsy
    Arcadius, AE4.png

Maximinus II
    AE Follis
    312 AD
    Obverse: MAXIMINVS PF AVG, laureate head right
    Reverse: IOVI CONSERVATORI, Jupiter standing left, holding Victory on globe and leaning on sceptre, wreath left, Epsilon right
    Mintmark dot SM dot TS dot
    Ex: Warren Etsy
    Maximinus II, Follis.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

4. furryfrog02

Thanks. The Arcadius is my favorite I think. It's so small but it has great detail and I really like the depiction of Victory. Shame the mint isn't visible.

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

This one from Cyzicus is my most photogenic.

Arcadius Cyzicus AE-4.jpg

6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Those little Salvs Reipvb coins are great. I’ll have to dig around for my few good ones

furryfrog02 likes this.
  7. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Nice coins, especially the Maximinus II.

To help finish the year, here's my smallest coin, an obol of Bacrtria.

Bactria, Circa 171-145 BCE
    Silver obol
    Eucratides I (Eukratides)
    Weight: 0.60 gm., Diameter: 9 mm.
    Die axis: 11 h
    Obv. Helmeted and diademed bust of king facing right, dotted border around,
    Rev. Caps and palms of the Dioscuri
    Greek legend: BAΣIΛEΩΣ EYKPATIΔOY (of King Eucratides)
    MIG 181a, Bop 9C

D-Camera Bactria, Eucratides I, AR obol, .69 grams, MIG 181a, Bop 9C, 12-29-20.jpg

8. furryfrog02

Wow. That is a nice looking coin. I don't think we have anything as small as 9mm in our collection.
    The die engravers were amazing back then!

9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Here's my favorite Salvs Reipvb:
    Arcadius Constantinople RIC IX 86c B (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG

Heres a Theodosius I:
    s-l1600.jpg

and a Valentinian II:
    s-l16001.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  10. furryfrog02

That Valentinian II is really nice. The first one is pretty cool too for being so far off flan.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  11. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Thank you.

It's a very nice little coin and there's a story behind it.

The obol came as a gift with another coin that I purchased this year. The seller's son seems to have traded the coin I ordered with a friend of his (for a roll of circulated Morgans, as I recall) without his dad's knowledge. That was a really rare imitative tetradrachm of Athens, Sabakes, as I recall. Needless to say I was disappointed, so he sent another tetradrachm, at a reduced price, along with the obol. The seller was in Kabul, Afghanistan as part of his job, and he picked up some ancients while there, including this obol.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  12. furryfrog02

That's a great story!
    I don't know the original coin in question, but I think you ended up with the better part of the deal :)

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Those are both nice coins. It is a shame that your plans for the 2021 list have been foiled but now you will have to apply yourself even more diligently to have ten even better next year.

DonnaML, rrdenarius and furryfrog02 like this.
  14. furryfrog02

We certainly will try!
    FFIVN and I have been looking through our 2020 coins and trying to figure out how to best assemble our "Top 10". He has his top 5 already. I'm still working on all of mine. Our lists may not come out until after January 1st lol.

Theodosius and DonnaML like this.
  15. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..very good FF2...:)

Attached Files:

16. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I got a few coins yesterday from Naville - there should be some more on their way to me, but who knows when they'll arrive - from the US and Italy. Plus, I have to pay for some from Elsen, which I will do tomorrow, but they're not back at work until next Monday, so the coins from there will arrive in 2021 for sure.

Anyway, these may be the last arrivals for me for 2020.

Bronze of Philip V. Apparently ex-Clain-Stefanelli collection, but it was mis-described as a rare Athens issue in the auction. Sorry about the lighting!
    [​IMG]

Anchor symbol denarius - Cr. 50/2. This coin is actually much darker than it appears here - it looks like my setup is better for taking photos of fairly bright silver coins. I'll try this again.
    [​IMG]

M. Vargunteius denarius - Cr. 257/1.
    [​IMG]

C. Curiatius F. Trigeminus denarius - Cr. 240/1a. This one is depicted in Banti - Curiatia 4/5 - and was in a Ratto Fixed Price List in 1970 (list 4, no. 191).
    [​IMG]

Roll on 2021 :)

ATB,
    Aidan.

Theodosius, DonnaML, ominus1 and 8 others like this.
  17. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

That is an excellent seller you are mentioning: Augustuscoins, very studious and knowledgeable. His name is Warren Esty, not Etsy.

Theodosius, DonnaML and furryfrog02 like this.
  18. furryfrog02

He is great!
    What is not so great is my phone’s auto correct that “fixed” is name....d’oh!

19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Arcadius are kinda ruddy in my collection. You have a nice one, @furryfrog02

Here is one of my Arc:

upload_2020-12-31_18-1-2.png
    RI Arcadius AR Siliqua 383-408 CE Roma Seated l holding globe with Victory; VIRTVS ROMANORVM RIC 106b 88 cat no

MAXIMINUS II

upload_2020-12-31_18-2-14.png
    RI Maximinus II Daia 305-308 CE Folles AE 26mm Trier mint GENIO POPV-LI Genius-Serapis stndg RIC VI Treveri 667b

20. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I really love the Victory on your new Arcadius.

Draft saved Draft deleted