Last purchase of the year: Theodosius I

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Ending 2020 with a coin of the last Emperor to rule both halves of the Empire: Theodosius I.

The coin has some nice detail and surfaces for this type .. I was very happy to see it fall within a price range I was comfortable with.

upload_2020-12-28_19-31-57.png
    Theodosius I. 379-395 AD. AE 2 (4.81 gm, 22mm). Thessalonica mint, 2nd officina. Struck 25 August 383-28 August 388 AD. Obv.: pearl-diademed, helmeted, draped, and cuirassed bust right, holding spear and round shield. Rev.: Theodosius standing left in galley, head right, raising hand; Victory to lower right at helm, head left, rowing; (wreath)/-//·TESB

I do have one more special coin in the mail - but no idea on when that will arrive.
    Happy to end the year with this coin as my last purchase.

Please post any coins of Theodosius I.

Seated J, Pavlos, Cucumbor and 20 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

What a great, clear, well defined coin, @Clavdivs ... very nice

Wife...

upload_2020-12-28_19-30-16.png
    RI Aelia Flacilla w Theodosius I 373-388 CE 21mm 5.7g Victory Christogram shield Antioch RIC IX 61

Theo...

upload_2020-12-28_19-31-22.png
    RI Theodosius I 379-395 CE AE 18mm Concordia

4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..very nice one Clavdivs...some of my 1st aimed ancient 'to get' coins was him & his sons.. noteable, historical emperor & coin :) Honorius Arcadius Theodosius and poss. Crispus 026.JPG Honorius Arcadius Theodosius and poss. Crispus 030.JPG

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nice!

Come to think of it, I believe this small, unimpressive little partially-encrusted AE4 might be the only Theodosius I I've owned.

PS- while it’s certainly ugly in these photos scans, I think there was a high grade coin hidden beneath those deposits. I never attempted cleaning it, though.

[​IMG]

6. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Very nice one @Clavdivs . Here's my almost twin to yours but from the Cyzicus mint :

Theodosius I

Ae2 23mm 5.76g
    GLORIA RO-MANORVM
    RIC IX 14c
    E0BD479B-C5EF-4661-9B5E-7BA6264F3055.jpeg

7. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

My only Theodosius I -- my latest-issued Roman coin:

Theodosius I, AE3 (Sear: Centenionalis), 379-383 AD, Alexandria mint, 3rd Officina. Obv. D N THEODOSIVS P F AVG - Diademed (Pearls), draped and cuirassed bust right / Rev. CONCORDIA AVGGG - Constantinopolis, helmeted, seated facing on throne, head right, holding spear and globe, right foot on prow. ALE(Γ) [gamma] in exergue. RIC IX 11 (p. 300), Sear RCV V 20535. 17.72 mm, 1.9 g.

Theodosius I Ae3 - CONCORDIA AVGGG - Alexandria Mint jpg version.jpg

8. otlichnik

otlichnik Well-Known Member

Ominus1, I don't want to sound, well, ominus, but your Theo I GR shows some worrying signs of possibly being a modern copy - at least in the photo.

It appears to be extremely porous with what looks like casting bubbles, there appears to be a casting flaw at about 08h00 on the obverse (between N and T) and another on the E at 09h30, the details are somewhat "soft", and the brassy color doesn't match the alloy used at the time.

Some of this could be from the photo - "softness", color, but the bubbles and casting flaws are more worrying.

Hope I am wrong.

SC

9. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed.

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great looking coin.

[​IMG]
    Theodosius I (379 - 395 A.D.)
    Bronze AE2
    O: D N THEODOSIVS P F AVG, rosette-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    R: GLORIA ROMANORVM, Theodosius standing left, head right, standard in right, globe in left, ANTA in ex.
    Antioch
    4.67g
    20.6mm
    RIC IX 68b

11. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Nice end of the year.
    Teo1.jpg
    Teo2.jpg

12. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Clavdivs, what a lovely coin. I love that Galley reverse as it reminds me of Constans.

Here's my best Theodosius, with a radical radiate crown on the kneeling figure. I guess I'll take a cool hat over a full head on the standing figure.

Theodosius seems to be rather unusual in larger sizes, so I'm fortunate this one measures a good AE2 21mm size.
    Theodosius I Siscia RIC IX 26c T3 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG

13. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

That would have cleaned up better than a farmgirl at the prom...

14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Theodosius with little T-rex arms.

theo1.jpg

theo2.jpg

15. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...i hope you R 2...:p..yeah, its got some issues, lil porus & all, but i don't think its counterfeit(altho, i couldn't rule it out 100%)...thanks for ringin' in tho...:)

16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

These issues tend to be porous for some reason. I had an earlier example that was quite porous.

ominus1 likes this.
  17. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

18. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

This one was struck at Antioch, with a cross on left field of reverse.

Theod O 600  antioch.JPG TheodVictory  Cross.JPG

gogili1977, BenSi, Clavdivs and 3 others like this.
  19. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

A fine acquisition to end a terrible year!

Here are my coins of Theo I:

Rom – Theodosius, AE2, stehender Kaiser, Gloria Romanorum.png
    Theodosius I, Roman Empire, AE 2, 378–383 AD, Siscia mint. Obv: DN THEODOSIVS PF AVG; bust of Theodosius I, diademed, draped and cuirassed, r. Rev: REPARATIO REIPVB; Emperor, head l., standing facing, with r. hand raising kneeling turreted woman, and holding Victory on globe in l.; in exergue, BSISC. 22mm, 5.44g. Ref: RIC IX Siscia 26C.

Rom – Theodosius, AE2, Reparatio Reipulicae.png
    Theodosius I, Roman Empire, AE2, 378–383 AD, Siscia mint. Obv: DN THEODOSIVS PF AVG; bust of Theodosius I, diademed, draped and cuirassed, r. Rev: REPARATIO REIPVB; Emperor, head r., standing facing, holding standard and globe; in exergue, ANTA. 22mm, 4.48g. Ref: RIC IX Antioch 68A. Ex Spring Coins, Texas.

Rom – Theodosius, AE4, Salvs Reipvblicae, Antioch.png
    Theodosius I, Roman Empire, AE4, 383–392 AD, Antioch mint. Obv: DN THEODOSIVS PF AVG; bust of Theodosius I, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed, r. Rev: SALVS REIPVBLICAE; Victory advancing l., carrying trophy over shoulder with r. hand, and dragging captive with l.; in l. field, cross; in exergue ANTB. 12mm, 1.16g. Ref: RIC IX Antioch 67B.

gogili1977, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
  20. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Beautiful example. It's quite hard to have those big chuncks in all their splendor.

Siliqua :

[​IMG]
    Theodosius I, Siliqua - Treveri mint, 2nd officina
    D N THEODOSIVS P F AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
    VIRTVS RO MANORVM, Roma seated left, holding Victory and spear, TRPS at exergue
    Ref : Cohen # 57, Roman coins # 4176

AE2 :

[​IMG]
    Theodosius I, AE2 - Heraclea mint, 1st officina
    DN THEODOSIVS PF AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
    GLORIA ROMANORVM, Theodosius standing, head right, holding standard and globe. SMHA at exergue
    6,38 gr
    Ref : Cohen # 18, Roman coins #4181, LRBC # 1986

AE4 :

[​IMG]
    Theodosius, AE4 - Cyzicus mint, 2nd officina
    DN THEODO SIVS P F AVG, draped and diademed bust of Theodosius right
    SALVS REI PVBLICAE, Victory walking left, dragging captive. Christogram in field, SMKB at exergue
    1.41 gr
    Ref : Cohen #30, LRBC # 2569, Roman coins #4188v, RIC IX Cyzicus 26b

Q

gogili1977, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted