Last Hasmonean King in the line of the Maccabees

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mike Margolis, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

20181202_193451_resized.jpg
    upload_2018-12-2_20-9-10.png
    Hasmonean Kingdom of Judea: Mattathias Antigonus AE 8 Prutot
    Jerusalem Mint 40-37 BCE
    Obverse: "Matityahu the High Priest and the Council of the Jews" (in Hebrew), double-cornucopiae
    Reverse: "Of Antigonus the King" (in Hebrew), ivy wreath
    References: Hendin 1162
    Size: 22mm, 13.02g
    This guy was the fourth great grandson of the famous Judah the Maccabee who is said to have battled against the Syrian Greeks and took back possession of the temple and cleansed it of defilement which partially gave rise to the holiday of Chanukah.
    coinboughttyreshekel.jpg
    Seleukid Kingdom: Antiochos VII Euergetes AR Tetradrachm
    Tyre Mint 138-129 BC
    Obverse: Diademed and draped bust right
    Reverse: Eagle standing left on prow left; palm frond behind; to left, monogram above club surmounted by Tyre monogram; to right, monogram above BΠP (date); monogram between legs
    References: SC 2109.10c; HGC 9, 1074; DCA 198
    Size: 26mm, 13.20g
    Here is a Tyrian shekel minted by Antiochus VII- the nephew of the evil madman Antiochus IV who raided the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem and instigated the legendary war that partially gave rise to the festival of Chanukah that starts tonight. Antiochus the VII was a good ruler to the Jews who (like Antoninus Pius) rescinded the evil decrees of the ruler before him that forbid the Jews to practice their religion.The Jews miraculously it is said found one vial of pure olive oil to keep the menorah burning for eight nights and cleansed the temple. This miracle also gave rise to the Adam Sandler song- "Eight Crazy Nights". Enjoy religious freedom for all those who celebrate! Chag Chanukah Sameach![​IMG]
    Post your Chanukah gelt(coins)Hasmoneans, Judeans or Tyrian Shekels if you wish to play dreidel with them(gamble).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    RAGNAROK, Jwt708, Plumbata and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Some much funnakkah to celebrate Hanukkah!

:woot:

4. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great Antigonus coins, @Mike Margolis ! I think the 8-prutot denominations are interesting and unusual as far as size and shape are concerned. I have several and all of them have a split flan appearance which makes them unique (the result of a 2-part flan mold mis-alignment) visible in the 4-prutot denomination in your photograph.

Blessings to all of our members who are observing the beautiful Chanukah tradition.

HASMONEANS.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  5. Mike Margolis

Thanks for the flan info @Deacon Ray and your beautiful additions- covers a lot of the history! I thing Antigonus also had a coin with the menorah on it- but very rare. The holy grail of the series I suppose? upload_2018-12-3_15-7-1.jpeg here it is from images!

6. Mike Margolis

A link to the full true story of the details leading up to the Chanukah holiday and the establishment of the Hasmonean Dynasty that @Deacon Ray's coins cover so well: "But some years later, changes in the geopolitical landscape would lead to Judas’ youngest brother Jonathan Apphus ascending to the high priesthood, and to the establishment of the Hasmonean Dynasty that would rule an independent Judea from 140 to 37 BCE."https://www.haaretz.com/jewish/the-...DLu0Y0Tg246DF3HnVyfRCA8HxxICemeS89v4uOsoHd_0Q

RAGNAROK likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted