Last Copper Cents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DarkRage666, Jan 9, 2021.

1. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

There was a guy at my local antique mall that was selling two plastic capsules filled with copper cents... The description said "Last Copper Cents" on a piece of paper behind it. Does anybody have any idea what that means? He was selling it for $150. I don't have any pictures and all I saw was what I described...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I could be wrong but I'm thinking it means dates on the Lincoln cents are dated before 1982 before the addition of zinc, as opposed to copper.

4. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Probably cents dated 1982 and prior. In 1982, the production switched over to the zinc/copper clad cents.

5. DarkRage666

But why'd they want $150 dollars for it?

6. Kevin Mader

How big is the jar? They may also be trying to sell the 'copper' for the equivalent of melt (not sure what that is at the moment). Curious perhaps...but copper cents can be hoarded by anyone with time to spare. But the likelihood that the US government would ever consider allowing cents to be melted down would be low and only improved if the cent went away. I personally don't see much of an upside to hoard copper cents, but to each...their own.

7. DarkRage666

Its not a jar... Its a plastic tube big enough for cents... There was prolly about $1.00 worth of cents

8. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Maybe it's two tubes of Flying Eagle Cents!

Kevin Mader likes this.
  9. Kevin Mader

No idea. Copper value for a roll of cents is about $1. Numismatic value is different, but for 100 cents to equate to $150, each cent has to be a sought after coin. I suspect that's not the case.

10. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Stay away from that antique mall, his prices are way too high.

11. DarkRage666

This was a different person who just randomly had that roll

12. Corn Man

Corn Man Well-Known Member

Maby he wanted 1.50? Or hes trying to sucker someone into buying magic pennies that make your toes grow

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Because he is looking for a sucker. Someone who gets real excited over getting the "last" of something, but who has no idea of values.

DarkRage666 and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  14. rte

rte Well-Known Member

This is what I was thinking, BUT then again I figured it be best to see what the seller really has in the plastic tube.

Only one way to really know what's in there is to take a look...

40 years ago I was at an estate sale where the auctioneer was selling off some coins.
    The estates kids didn't want anything the father had (JUST SELL IT ALL AND SEND US A CHECK) is what they told the auctioneer.

4 ratty taped up plastic Rolls of wheat cents according to the label...
    Except in the rolls were $2.5 dollar gold pieces.

Draft saved Draft deleted