Last Coins of 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gsimonel, Jan 1, 2021.

1. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

These two coins, both won in the most recent Agora auction, arrived in my mailbox around 5:00 P.M. last night.

The first is a result of my new, recent interest in Greek bronzes. I been wanting a nice, facing (more or less) nymph bust for a while, and the horse and rider on the reverse was a nice bonus:
    Thessaly.jpg
    Thessaly, Larissa. 3rd century B.C. AE dichalkon (18.4 mm, 5.44 g, 1 h). Head of the nymph Larissa facing three-quarter left, wearing earring and necklace / [ΛAP IΣ-AIΩN], cavalryman, wearing Boiotian helmet and cuirass, riding right, holding lance; M below. BCD Thessaly II 393.7; Rogers 286.

Ex BCD Collection; Ex Thess., Apr 94.

The next, an antoninianus of Gordian III is an upgrade for my Roman Emperors website:
    Gordian.jpg
    Gordian III. A.D. 238-244. AR antoninianus (20x22 mm, 3.98 g, 1 h). Rome mint, struck A.D. 238/9. IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian III right, seen from behind / VICTORIA AVG, Victory walking left holding wreath and palm-branch. RIC 5; RSC 357. VF.

Feel free to share any coins that snuck in under the wire for nasty old 2020, and best wishes for a happy, healthy 2021 to all!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Wow, nice coins Glenn.

I love the Larissa with the rider. Most of their coins have riderless horses.

You have a good eye for attractive pieces.

John

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great pair of coins Glenn. Can't really get too many nice Gordies.

Theodosius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted