Last chance for some nice counterfeit cents on eBay

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jim-PacificNorthWest, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Seller - glinicastore - 1914-s, 1931-s, 1912-s . Reported to eBay and seller contacted. Seller indicated he would continue to sell until stopped by eBay (which no-longer happens)

1914-s
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/252000291724?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

1931-s
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261935662423?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

1912-s
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/252000292854?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

all coin reverse(s) have die error protrusion inside left wheat above the U in UNITED.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Nah, thanks, I buy mine directly from China these days.

Just kidding. Ebay won't take these down even after several reports?

4. I have only reported it once. I just spoke with general eBay support and they looked at the listing and did not see any indication that the 1931-s had any "reports". The "report items" are handled by the "Trust & Safety Department" & I did not try to follow-up with them to see why my report was ignored - maybe next time if I do not give up on eBay entirely....

To date, you report an auction item as counterfeit - get no reply back from eBay. The counterfeit report information is not available to other interested buyers who look at the auction listing.

5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Seller's response: hi all my coins is authentic 100%,,have good night

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I reckon they just don't want to punish a cash cow until buyers start to complain big time.

7. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Still more dates with the same reverse die, be on the look out for 55 ddo, 14-d, and 22 no d with same. It looks like you don't even have to have a good fake to fool a lot of people. Shame people don't do their homework. Good eye on catching these!

Paul M. likes this.
  8. I apologize to seller - Seattllite86 if my assessment of the "die damage on the side left wheat ear" on auction cents (1912-s, 1914-s,1931-s - see earlier post for eBay auction links) does not indicate a Chinese duplicate/copy coin and there is another explanation.

I have been trying to collect/learn about Lincoln cents and have been gathering information from this forum and from the Lincoln Cent Forum. Below is a link on the review of another issue 1931-s cent with detailed photos of left wheat ear die damage and group agreement that the cent is not genuine.

1931 S Real ? post link
    http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/showthread.php?34852-1931-S-Real&highlight=1931-s

Thanks everyone for your assistance....

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You apologize to the seller? Don't.

10. Copper56

Copper56 Active Member

eBay has a couple of Twitter accounts. It may or may not be seriously effective but I don't think they like seeing all the negative posts. So, as I have found, they will actually give more credence to your concerns than sending any reports through 'report this item.' Here are the accounts: @AskeBay and @eBay

11. Copper56

Copper56 Active Member

Neither of these are authentic. The bigger problem is when the buyer decides to sell to a savvy dealer and is told his coin is fake. He becomes defensive. Says the dealer doesn't know what he's talking about. He may never believe it. And the eBay seller skates by once again.
    No one wants it pointed out they made a costly mistake. Kinda like this seller saying that his coins are 100% real. Does he know or doesn't he. Who knows.
    All three coins have the known fake diagnostics. No question about it.
    And eBay could not care less!
    If they did they would hire someone to learn the 'tells' and police the concerns.

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

In fact, they had such a person, but they eliminated her position a couple of years ago.

13. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

I tried finding more of these counterfeit coins on eBay, but so far no luck. I bet there are more dates floating around.

14. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

Why do you say, "Last chance"?

There's always gonna' be crooks, and there's always gonna' be un-educated buyers...

15. Yes - "Last chance" should have been "Ending Soon". The older style Chinese duplicate/copy may be going away as newer duplicate/copy versions are available for sale without the die chip and harder to easily spot.

Seller - 2013usa7778 - has a 1928-s cent in xf/au condition with the copy/duplicate signature die chip of the left wheat at eBay listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1928-S-whea...566?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aebe673b6

I cannot tell if other cents from the same seller (including 1931-s and 1909-s) have issues. They do not have the die chip of the left wheat

16. bwdul

bwdul Member

Ebay really has no protocol in place to deal with these crooks and thats a shame.I research and read and come here but without the help of CT i am sure i could not tell the difference between counterfeit and the real deal.Is there anyway these fake coins could ever fool PCGs or the other 2 top graders? Do they only counterfeit the coins type or variety or is the silver possibly counterfeited also?

17. jmccarty

jmccarty Active Member

I would be hesitant to buy anything not already slabbed and graded by PCGS or NGC only. Unless, it is from a few highly recognized coin dealers. They will have thousands of sales with >99% positive feedback. Not sure how that guy has 100% positive feedback unless his souvenir items you can see in his store are what people have bought and not expecting they are real. Defacing old coins to make jewelry seems an incredible waste!

18. bwdul

bwdul Member

Yes I understand, thanks for letting us know what is going on there.EBay is certai nly worried bout the bottom line more than the integrity of the product being sold and that is really sad.....

Draft saved Draft deleted