Larissa Drachm authenticity check?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mike Margolis, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Nathan P

Nathan P Well-Known Member

Here's mine.

AR Drachm

18mm, 5.83g

BCD Thessaly 1154-7; SNG Copenhagen 120.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-yD98naH7bMcz0ad.jpg

Alegandron, Mike Margolis and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

That's a beauty!

Nathan P likes this.
  4. Mike Margolis

Thanks for your take on the coin. Actually I do not have it yet in hand so that will be interesting. It is a little light at 5.5 grams but I have a good feel for ancients since collecting as a boy mostly from Alex Malloy when he came to the coin show near my home town. I learned a lot from him and the guys at Stacks in the city. I will not forget that Mr.Malloy would remind me to save up my money and by better quality instead of going for the cheaper stuff. The fact is I also bought a Larissa Hemidrachm on Vcoins with a great BCD provenance and do not have that one yet either(see image of this one). As i said for the $65. I paid for the OP drachm I am alright with the gamble. I always wonder with an ancient at this cost level how much time would it take to create one especially with an obverse that has porosity or crystallization? Would it really be worth the time involved? maybe it would not have a big time investment? Not sure?(maybe if you made a hundred at a time it would be worth it?) I checked the fakes forum and there were no others like it unlike the Bulgarian fakes with many at a time flooding the market and easily recognizable. Folks here on this forum would know this end of the business better than I. Now for coins in the three digits which is my limit of cost I look for a reputable dealer and a provenance. [​IMG]
    Thessaly, Larissa 356-337 BC, Hemidrachm
    2.78g
    Head of the nymph Larissa facing, slightly left
    Horse grazing right.
    BCD II 325

Ex BCD collection with tag

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Alegandron and Bing like this.
  5. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Okay, but if the coin is questionable in your mind, consider returning it and using the refund to help you acquire a nicer coin.

Mike Margolis likes this.
  6. Mike Margolis

wow- real nice! already told you how nice this one is then saw it again. really astonishing

Nathan P likes this.
  7. Nathan P

Nathan P Well-Known Member

Thanks! This ended up being one of the better pictures I've taken!

8. Mike Margolis

Received the OP coin today. Definitely better in hand than the seller photo or my own here. coinboughtlarissaDrachmR.jpg coinboughtlarissadrachmOBV7.jpg
    Figuring it was just poorly cleaned.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Alegandron and Bing like this.
  9. Mike Margolis

There are fakes of these out there though. This one on ebay now from the Russian federation at 4.53 grams- a whole gram underweight for a drachm. starting bid or offer $28.00. thought i'd post it just to see a real obvious fake I believe: coinFAKEebay1.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted