Largest Circulating Silver Coin Ever

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Alaska Dude, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Alaska Dude

Alaska Dude New Member

What is the largest circulating silver coin ever?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Google it and let us know.

4. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

My money is on the 2 thaler pieces from Prussia, etc.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

My money is on the Panama large silver coin.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Crown size are not the largest circulated coins. I reckon pseudo gold and silver coins from Japan are easily one of the largest coins that circulated. Look up oban and chogin. Believe its about 5 ounce of gold alloy and 4.5 ounce of silver alloy respectively.

Would be curious to know if any larger coins that circulated.

7. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

If I went and spent an ATB that would become the largest circulating silver coin ever ;)

8. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

Here's the largest I know of.

Mkman123 likes this.
  9. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

A quadruple thaler of 1642. This is more commonly known as an Oxford English pound and was made from, I think, melted silver plate. Not plated silver but they used to call solid silver utensils "plate" in the old days.

Unfortunately my specimen is slabbed as VF details so I can't weigh it. While neither Heritage nor Stacks nor NGC list any weights, the Spinks (London) website has one silver pound listed: same year & mint at 118.02 grams. A number of other silver crowns (1/4 of a pound) of that era weigh from 29.22 to 30.02 grams so the target weight should be around 120 grams.

The reverse inscription outside the beaded circle is:
    Let God Arise [and] Let His Enemies Be Scattered" (Psalm 68:1)

These were issued to be presented to Royalist (Cavalier) Calvery Officers during the 1st phase of the English Civil War of 1642 - 1646. This specimen was gotten from Stacks, Aug 2016 ANA Auction, lot 20574. It was very reasonably priced for one of these. Normally I don't collect these but it was one of those types I watch for to see if one will ever sell cheaply. Also I favor big circulating coins especially.

I've been wanting to crack this one out of the slab so I can photograph it and weigh it. The slab is quite nicely done and a lot of plastic tho.
    [​IMG]

Having lived in Brazil for 3 years and as a current member of the Brazilian Numismatic Society (Sao Paulo chapter), I also admire their large silver 4,000 reis coins but don't own one myself.

10. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Not the largest, but the Greco-Bactrian king Amyntas minted a whopping dodekadrachm in silver; 62-67mm and around 85g

http://coinindia.com/galleries-amyntas.html

I actually recently acquired a Japanese chogin; a nice hefty 81.44g although it's not as large as I thought it would be
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-eUZodC8mUrc54.jpg

2019-06-28 12.53.04.jpg

This one is probably small compared to most; these were actually delivered in sealed packages of a specified weight, with the chogin making up the bulk of the weight, and smaller mameita gin making up the balance.

Some provincial Japanese coins were quite large:
    Akita 9 momme 2 bu, 79x56mm but only 34g
    https://www.biddr.ch/auctions/heritage/browse?a=610&l=626415

I've seen claims of provincial silver "coins" in the form of silver sheets about the size of a small textbook, but from my understanding most are of dubious authenticity and none probably circulated.

After a little googling I found an impressively large Chinese 50-tael sycee, 1,889g
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/china/chin...are-sycee-/a/3015-23895.s#auction-description

Gallienus, tibor, kaparthy and 4 others like this.
  11. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

@TheGame WOWZAH! Learn something new everyday! Thats a huge coin coming in at 50 mm!!

12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Modern coins ? It looks like Haiti 60mm is huge. not mine.

AAAAA.jpg
    BBBBBB.jpg

kaparthy likes this.
  13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Panama has it's 20 Balboas coin at 61mm .925 silver 3.85 ounces... not mine.

coin-image-20_Balboa-Silber-Panama-Qj8KbzbiVDUAAAFRoYNau0e0.jpg

kaparthy and Chris B like this.
  14. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I did and there's a whole lot of reading available....I passed.

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

I'm going out on a limb here, but most of those modern pieces are really considered NCLT "aka" non circulating legal tender. The Japanese piece and the James I piece could be the exception. That's my best shot. I just photographed 200+ British gold and silver from that period including the James pound. A stunning piece.

Gallienus and joecoincollect like this.
  16. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

The Segovia, Spain 'Cincuentin' - a massive 50 reales coin weighing about 170 g was pretty darn heavy for a circulating coin. Very rare today.

Cincuentin Segovia 170 g.jpg

Kasia, serafino, tibor and 9 others like this.
  17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

wow, such an amazing coin.

18. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I actually bought the 9 momme 2 bu coin from the link. I've wanted a large Japanese piece of the type and liked the size of this one. Cant wait to get it in hand. Too bad on the cleaning but it still looks attractive I think.
    26771.png 26770.png

19. Coin buyer

Coin buyer Member

Certainly one would have needed deep and wide pockets to carry such massive coinage in the day huh, lol
    Just think how having 5-6 Morgan’s or Peace Dollars in your pocket today would weigh you down.
    Anyway very interesting facts on largest circulating coins of past!

20. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

From my collection.... Jamaica 10 dollars proof coin. 45mm .925 silver. mintage-8,038. largest coin in my collection. sorry pics are badly out of focus.

Image06282019233702.jpg
    Image06282019233749.jpg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    kaparthy and onecenter like this.
  21. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

spirityoda likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted