Large foreign silver coins at melt value or close.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by kforbes862, Jul 20, 2013.

1. kforbes862

kforbes862 Well-Known Member

What are some large foreign silver coins that can be bought at or a bit over melt value? I have a German empire 5 mark, a south Africa 5 shilling, and a Venezuela 5 Bolivar, and looking for something around the same size for around $30 or less.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Poland has silver coins. Latvia has silver. Panama has silver. Mexico has silver.

4. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

I get this stuff all the time. Lots of larger silver coins can be purchased for around melt - most will be modern commemoratives. The countries that I see a lot of are German, Austria, Norway, Sweden, Philippines, Netherlands, Portugal, Italy, Thailand, Mexico, & Israel.

Some regular issue coins are French 10F, Canadian dollars,Greece 30D, & Panama Balboas. Lots of the Franklin Mint stuff was selling for melt and a ton of it was melted, so it is much scarcer now, but occasionally I'll still get some in.

I've got a box of about 20 lbs of "melt value silver" that's going to the smelter soon. If you're interested in anything in particular, I can see if it's in the box.

5. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I like a lot of the modern silver but don't ignore the old stuff either. It's getting melted just like the modern stuff and some of these aren't more common. I especially like oddball stuff like Indian states or Romanian. Most dealers will have buckets of stuff getting ready for the selters. Frequently there will be buckets of .8oo fine, .925 fine, etc. They will only get a large percentage of melt value for these and are usually happy to let people pick through them if the premium is enough to warrant their time. Remember they're doing you a favor so stay out of the way and let them do business. If you can do little things like fix them by properly organizing them it helps as well because if there are many mismatches in the buckets the buyer will discount them all. You'd be surprised at what turns up in these buckets. The guy who pays the best premiums often gets first crack but some dealers have no interest in them. Keep a total of what you find and the dealer can just check it to make sure it's right and won't take up much of his time.

It takes time tolearn what's good and what's common. Some of the moderns are just junk that might never have much value and the same applies to some of the older coins especially in low grade. Some coins have been melted enmass (like Spanish 100P) and are worth keeping. Buy an older Krause (2002) and try to learn which silver is which.

This is how I started with the modern base metal. In the '70's it was all mixed up and I'd separate out the silver for a premium. But then I noticed that there are a lot of modern base metal that is never or rarely seen so I started paying attention to them, too. If these ever interest you get a later date (1901-2000) Krause. These prices will be way too low generally but it will get you started.

6. I would never sell a coin for melt value if its pre 1940. Thats just my opinion .

7. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

If you want older stuff, many of the common date French 5 francs, Italian 5 lire and Spanish 5 pesetas can be picked up for just a few dollars above melt in decent condition.

Tom Babinszki likes this.
  8. kforbes862

Gmarguli, I would be interested in anything the size of a half dollar, or larger. Shoot me prices on a a few randomnpieces if you would like. I would love to have them. I started collecting just for investing in silver but now more so for collecting than investing.

9. kforbes862

Gmarguli, I would be interested in anything the size of a half dollar, or larger. Shoot me prices on a a few randomnpieces if you would like. I would love to have them. I started collecting just for investing in silver but now more so for collecting than investing.

10. FRANCIS J NICOLO

FRANCIS J NICOLO New Member

11. FRANCIS J NICOLO

12. FRANCIS J NICOLO

13. FRANCIS J NICOLO

please get in touch with me

14. FRANCIS J NICOLO

e-mail me i will buy it all

15. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

sorry to tell ya but this thread was last replied in 2013.

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I realize you are new to these forums, and despite the fact that this thread is about 4 years old, solicitations are not allowed on the open forums. You must use the B/S/T forums once you have posted a minimum of 10 times.

Chris

17. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

And the guy you are replying to hasn't been logged on since 2013. Click on his name and it will show you his profile. He's still selling on eBay (well, at least his eBay account is still active) so he's in business. Odd though, the tagging system doesn't appear to let him be tagged.

18. FRANCIS J NICOLO

why not take it off

Draft saved Draft deleted