Large Cents

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Marshall, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Moekeever

Moekeever Well-Known Member

On a buying spree. 1796 that's about to be busted out of prison. A little TLC to slow down corrosion. Placement of the date makes for easy ID.

image.png image.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Nice S-97. It's funny but I've got my eye on a S-98 which is misattributed as a S-97.

Moekeever likes this.
  4. Moekeever

Here's a 1796 that's one that was in my grandfather's junk box. Is it a s-92 or a NC1? Not much left of the reverse. 20170302_195240.jpg 20170302_195407.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    SchwaVB57 likes this.
  5. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm coming up with the S-110.

Check out the location of the right ribbon on the reverse relative to the fraction bar and right 0. Then look at the numerator toward the left side. Then look at the left stem and the distances from the the ribbon below and the leaf above.

On the obverse, check out the distance and angle from the 7 to the Hair/Drapery intersection, then the distance to the 9. Check with the distance of the 6 to the bottom of the drapery.

6. Moekeever

This one is giving me a headache. After looking closely at the date, the 96 are connected by a crack. This crack appears from the top of the 6 to the bust. The 9 on the s-92 is a little higher than the S-110. Thank you so much. This one has bothered me for years. I didn't have a S-110 yet so that's good.

Marshall likes this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I got it this evening. I feel sure it is the S-98 rather than the s-97 with the 1 too far left of the Hair/Shoulder intersection and the 6 too low for the S-97.

S-98 Obv.JPG S-98 Rev.jpg

I'm not quite sure whether it is Fr-2 or B-1. But at least it is identifiable.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

9. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I also received this 1797 this morning. I has captured my interest because the bottom of the I appears to be too low for any of three known obverses paired with Reverse G according to my comps I use for attribution.

Close examination of photos in Heritage Archives appear to show several of the S-126 with this characteristic, though certainly not all, and in different die states (both with and without the crack in the right field). I'm intrigued about why this is so.

An additional intrigue is the edge shows evidence of reeding and raised "pellets or welders beeds" which describe edge V and Breen mentioned at least one known in his description of the S-126s. To show this would require a much better photographer than myself. 1797 6.jpg S-126 - 1797.jpg 1797 Rev.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

A new 1797. Moderate Environmental Damage and a punch on the reverse at the ribbon knot, but good detail other than where axial misalignment is expected (last two digits and the tip of the bust).

S-133 Obv.jpg S-133 Rev.jpg

11. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I received this coin this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised to find it had Edge V, the partially reeded edge, rather than the typical edge IV or plain edge. Breen mentions one owned by Robinson S. Brown, Jr. in Die State II and this also appears to be Die State II. Others had been reported with Edge V including one by Dr. Harry Salyards.

12. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I guess I'm back to just missing. I just came in second on a mislabeled 1797 S-124 marked as 1796.

New Obverse.jpg New Reverse.jpg

13. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

14. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Pretty good price for a 1796.

Marshall likes this.
  15. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

New Purchase:

S-149 obv.jpg S-149 Rev.jpg

S-149 and properly attributed by the seller.

This variety was called R7 in both Early American Cents 1793-1814 and Penny Whimsy. Breen listed it as R5+ in 2000. In the last ten years, it has been called R5+, R4+ and R5, in that order so census info is inconsistent.

It will be hard to grade because the axial misalignment seems worse on this example than on similar coins of the variety. I don't think it's due to more wear. The planchet appears nice with no obvious distractions or marks.

The examples I see in the Heritage archive seem unduly harshly graded for coins with both hair detail and drapery detail.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  16. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I just noticed I failed to attribute it as the S-105 R5-.

17. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm experimenting with a new digital microscope on my S-32 Die State I to see if I can produce images and a format I like.

Is this one good for presenting a coin? All comment, whether affirming or critical, are very much appreciated.

S-32.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted