Large Cents don't fit in Dansco Album ports? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by coin0709, Jul 1, 2015.

1. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Anyone know why this is the case? Surely, it is not just that the coins are worn substantially from the outside in... This is annoying since they rotate very easily and I cannot keep them straight North-South.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

A well known problem with Dansco (and I believe other album makers too). Large cent diameter's vary a lot.

4. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Yea. The holes are the wrong size. The large bust quarters pages in the bust quarters album are the same way.

bdunnse likes this.
  5. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Sometimes. Sometimes they are the right size since the diameter of the Large Cents varied by date, and even within a date, due to the minting process (no collar). The holes were likely sized to accommodate the largest of the likely diameters and it was just accepted that the coins that happened to be smaller would have rattle space (unless the user made a shim or requested one from Dansco).

6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Well..................at least they go into the holes. I recall some quarters that I could not get in with a hammer!

7. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Yeah, when the coins don't fit, I just grind the rims off.

mac266, micbraun, NSP and 1 other person like this.
  8. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

It's like a make your own sliders kit. Fun.

9. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Exactly the reason why I don't use commercial book holders for my type set. I do have a complete Cent set in a Whitman book and a few of those coins needed extra persuasion to fit in the holes.

10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

For those that do not fit - I use some old rings from airtites. I create me a little shim to slide in before the coin. Look at the top of the 1806. A few of the shims get a little larger than I like, but it seems to work.

[​IMG]

micbraun likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted