Large Cent - S-263

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I recently came across this Cent on eBay (No, I didn't buy it this time) and thought you might like what I saw.
    S-263 Obv.jpg S-263 Rev.jpg
    This is a 1803 S-263 with most of the State V die break characteristics including the Obverse Rim break at 1803 extending toward the lower curl (as opposed to a die crack in State IV).

The reverse crack at the final 0 of the denominator (State III) is not visible on this coin due to wear, but the Reverse crack from the rim between D and S and through the left wreath, continuing just below the left upper stem is NOT present. The crack HAS developed from the left upper leaf through the right upper leaves to the rim above the left side of O.

Because the left side of the crack is almost always stronger, it may have been thought that developed first or at the same time as the crack on the right. This coin would contradict this.

Now the continuous change in die state (stage) leaves specific die state identification something of an art. This could just as easily be called a new intermediate die state with a remarkable difference from both State IV preceding it and State V following it. However; traditionalists will probably settle with calling it an early Die State V.

ps Though I know it's highly unlikely, the coin also reminds me of photos of concavo-convex planchets of 1796. Concavo obverse/convex reverse?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted