Large Cent Giveaway to a YN or Financially Strapped Collector

Discussion in 'Contests' started by WingedLiberty, Nov 14, 2011.

1. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

ugh ... i hear you mizo

what do the rest of the entrants think about this ????
    I hope many, most, all of the entrants post your thoughts on this idea from mizo

I will not close and restart this contest without a consensus from the current entrants

Or if anyone has any other ideas (post them)

sorry things got so screwed up with this

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

or you could do a raffle of the exhisting contest with the people whome are still elligable?

4. mizozuman2

mizozuman2 that random guy

also a great idea! you could take the amount of likes one has gotten, take that amount and put them on paper and cut them out (ex. i have 7 likes, so i have 7 pieces of paper with my name on it). that would be a good one. :) or you could do a problem like my first contest, with a math problem or a riddle. :)

Mizozuman2

5. WingedLiberty

I like the idea of a raffle run Monday evening with the number of chances based on the number of likes. Thanks for that!

However I still plan on attempting to delete any bogus likes from the raffle chances.

Honestly, I would rather not run this contest again!!

This might be a good example of how NOT to run a contest!

6. mizozuman2

well, it's a good contest, we just need trustworthy people... :(

7. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

i agree with mizozu.. it is a great contest and i enjoyed reading everyones stories..

8. phdunay

phdunay Member

I don't think this one is so messed up, I think you should take all the stories, put them in a new thread with a poll so people can clearly vote and see the trends.

*This can be swayed by false accounts though... Have people post who they voted for so you can evaluate the the fairness, they shouldn't vote if they feel that they would be offending anybody.

9. mizozuman2

also a good one, but it'd be the same thing as the "LIKE" contest.

10. phdunay

phdunay Member

Yeah, but just a cleaner version and he already has all of the entries. If he wanted a different contest, telling another trustworthy CT member a random secret number and then doing a closest guess contest might be a good route.

11. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

The only reason I wouldn't want the current contest closed is due to the fact that I have a strong lead (with genuine "likes"), but, hey, whatever must be done must be done. I will fully understand if you decide to formally void the contest. Afterall, I am the one you detected and ultimately ignited this little fire in the first place. :rolleyes:

-Brian

12. WingedLiberty

Cazka, thanks for admitting that. I salute your honesty in coming clean. It would help me if I knew all the other names you were using so I could weed out the duplicate entries and voters. Thanks!

Actually most of this mess is my fault for not setting up the contest better. I dont blame anyone for trying to get an edge, as I didnt specifically forbid anyones actions.

13. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Well, I am going to ask Peter to delete the accounts. The ones I used were:
    Bartsimpson
    bobbyjack,
    barbernut,
    oregonducksfan
    uscons,

JRM43 and bigBM are my father and friend who are legitimate members on this forums and need not be disciplined.

Once again, I apologize for my unethical decisions.

-Cannyn

14. WingedLiberty

Thanks Cazka. That's very helpful!!!

Appology accepted. No worries. However, this was actually my fault, not yours.

15. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Liberty,
    I have enjoyed reading every single one of these 'essays'. They have helped me to get to know a bit about many of the posters who's names I see fairly often. I think you have done a wonderfully creative job of 'bringing people out' and bringing them in! I don't think it would be 'fair' (?) to cancel the contest; it is obvious that many of the writers put their heart into their essays, simply because they were asked for their story...no right or wrongs in any essays. I bet if you were to look back through the posts, you may be able to spot the 'likes' that you are not comfortable with. Cazkaboom has given you a good start at names (by the way, that takes a lot of courage to admit). You are no stranger here, and know who most (okay not all) of the posters are. Go with your gut. But I wouldn't cancel this contest. I feel it is a HUGE success.

On the other hand, you could always change how a winner is selected at the very end. Perhaps your criteria for selecting a winner takes the amount of likes an entrant has received into consideration, along with OTHER criteria, thereby eliminating another ACORN deal....:)

Thank you for hosting this contest, Liberty, it's a success (Overall:)) IN MY OPINION!

LucyRay

(p.s. You could consider this as your 'Primaries', and take your top two, three, five, ten (whatever number you choose) and put those essays to a Poll Vote.. (elections!) One vote per person voting, polls open for 'short' period of time, (1 day, 2 days, 3 days?)

If you need any help spreadsheeting likes in the meantime, I'd be glad to help. As in accounting, a particular 'point in time' will have to do, as the likes system is not static, but continually changing. A cutoff point for counting...

16. WingedLiberty

Thanks Lucyray, very good points you make!

And thanks for all the feedback everyone! Everybody's ideas were really great and I appreciate all the well thought out input.

With the info from Caz, I think I might be able to adjust the like count and still declare a winner based purely on LIKES as I originally intended. So I will go ahead and run this as first laid out.

However what I will do because of all the confusion ... is add a 2nd numismatic "prize" and hold a drawing with those those remaining non-winning contestants using the 1 like = 1 chance method put forth earlier ... so I will give away a 2nd very cool coin to the winner of that drawing ... those that got more likes have a better chance of winning that ... but everyone will have a shot.

So now the Large Cent will go to the LIKE winner ... and everyone else that entered will have chance at another great coin "prize" (I will pull something else from my collection for another lucky winner) from a drawing to be held soon after the contest ends.

So we'll go from 1 prize to 2 prizes to be given away.

Does that sound fair to everyone?

17. mizozuman2

would you like some help with sorting things out? i'd be willing to help you out! :)

Mizozuman2

18. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Sounds very fair! :)

-Brian

19. WingedLiberty

Sure mizo ... if you want to volunteer to sort things out ... have at it! ... you can PM me

20. mizozuman2

+1 :)

21. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Would anyone else like to step forward and admit to having cheated? I hope everyone realizes that creating multiple accounts is not only being dishonest to the person who created this contest, but it is cause for a permanent ban from CoinTalk. Anyone else who steps forward now will get by with just this warning. If you don't come forward, and we find you out, we won't be as forgiving. And, I guess that sadly we'll have to have a new rule in the contest section.

Draft saved Draft deleted