Large Cent Giveaway to a YN or Financially Strapped Collector

Discussion in 'Contests' started by WingedLiberty, Nov 14, 2011.

1. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

thanks for the contest!
    here is goes.. lol
    i started collecting coins with my mom about 11 years ago, i was 10 at the time. we were doing alot of coin roll hunting(2-3 boxes of cents per week). we found a few indian head cents then from that mpoment on i was hooked! when i was 13 i had just got a paper route and started going to a very small coin dealer and buying v-nickles and lincoln wheat cents. i went to my great grandmas about a year or so later with my gramdma and she brought up the fact that i had taken an interest in collecting coins so she brought out her coin collection! and let me go thru it, i found some neat stuff, alot of wheat cents, older foreign coins(netherlands and canadian mostly) and she had an 1851 3 cent silver nickel and a 1839 half dime. she let me buy them all off of her! i was soo stoked! about a year or so later i got a job at Mcdonalds as a cashier. during the first week i found 3 silver dimes! i started finding silver all the time. a fellow co worker and me found about 300 silver dimes one month! we took the better ones and sold the rest. i couldnt really afford much after i graduated high school, moving out into an apartment and paying bills made sure i didnt have much if any extra spending money. lol i just recently within the past year or so found a good job with a decent income so i can afford to collect again! im focusing on older copper coins and lincoln cents. i am deffinately hooked on collecting coins and i hope to share with future generations what i learn.
    again i have to thank you for creating this contest!
    cody

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

I am a YN, member of the ANA and of cointalk for quite a while now, this is a newer username. I don't have a graded large cent and I really would enjoy it. Also I am trying to tackle a challenging part of coin collecting, detecting altered color, look at my last threads. Anyways, I started because my father tried to get me interested. Thanks! Great contest. Henry

4. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Great idea for a contest WingedLib! There are already a lot of stories I can relate to on this thread. Well done.

5. stlouiscoin

stlouiscoin New Member

well, that is a very beautiful coin. I got addicted 3 years ago(when I was 10) when for my b-day, my grandma gave me some partially started coin books. I started looking through hand change my parents got, and I found a 1939 wheat cent. I thought "how unusal to find a coin so old in circulation!" I really thought about all the hands it had gone through and the history it had been through. After that, I started going to a couple coin clubs and I got hooked. I am currently working on accumulating very year and mint mark of cent ever minted, quite a big task. I would really enjoy to have that coin because it is very beautiful and unique. Being 13, I don't exactly have a job so aquirring coins is a little tough. It would really be a great addition to my small collection!!

6. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

- how you got started in coins? When I was 14, I actually found my grandmother's coin stash, and dipped my sticky fingers in it. That was 2 years ago. My parents caught me and made me give them back. I actually figured out I like the history behind the coins and learned much more than from History class while looking the coins up. Now at the age of 16, I find the hobby to be overwhelming and very addicting.

- why you like collecting? I am addicted to collecting because I found much liking on the fact that these are not chunks of metal, but unusual pieces of history, and doing the research actually helped improve my History grade. It also gave me a great subject to write my Scholarly paper on (1933 Gold Double Eagle Seizure). Sooooooo much research done on that...

- why you would like to have this coin? I would like it so I may have one Large Cent in my collection. I had one, but gave it to a new collector and told him to pay it forward. Now I lack a Large cent in my collection.

7. AWalker14

AWalker14 New Member

i was sitting in my bedroom at the age of 8, wondering what good coins did to us. I pondered the question and went out on a quest to get one coin from the 1800s. I knew it wasn't going to be easy but it was a good start. The same day i found a silver nickel AND a buffalo nickel in my parents change bucket. Now today i have finally gotten my first 1800s coin. It is an 1893 Indian head in pretty good condition. I'm 14 so that's pretty good. So that's how I'll put it, short and sweet.

8. phdunay

phdunay Member

I'm wondering, if Mizozuman wins, will he be allowed to receive the prize?

9. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

How you began collecting coins? :

I've grown up around coins, my great grandfather always had a collection, and I everytime I visted him, I could'nt take my eyes off of them. Every once in a while he'd give a miscellaneous coin, I'd gander at it for a week or so, and then I'd move on. When I got serious was my 9th birthday, 4 years ago. For my birthday, he gave me a few US coins which included the basics: a few later date wheat cents, a Walking lib half, etc. After that I was hooked....

Why I like collecting:

There are more than a few reasons I collect, like many others I enjoy the History aspect of collecting. Knowing that the Large Cent you're holding may have paid for a fare or drink. Not only do I enjoy that connection with the past, I like the coinnection (pun intended) that my Great Grandfather and I share. Recently his health has declined, and at 84 years old, he has begun to sell off his collection. I know that when "it" happens, I'll never go a day without thinking about him and remembering the bond that we formed through Numismatics.

Why I'd like this coin:

I think this coin would be a wonderful improvement to the horrendous 1848, corroded large cent in my 7070 now, or maybe even the start of a Large Cent collection! It is certainly beautiful!

Thank you WL, this an extremely generous contest, and a great idea for one! Good luck everyone, and may the best YN win!

10. phdunay

phdunay Member

How many YNs are on the forum? We need some regular Ns and senior Ns to come vote

11. Cazkaboom

Haha! The hilarity of parents! Hope he will be able to if he does.

12. mizozuman2

mizozuman2 that random guy

no worries, i have something worked out with chris, so i think that's what we'll be doing with this too. :)

13. mizozuman2

yup! i got it worked out with WingedLiberty! :D

14. Cazkaboom

Glad to hear that! You now have a fighting chance!

15. Alex491

Alex491 Boy Scout

I started coin collecting after going to a coin collecting merit badge at the summer F.U.N. convention 2011 in Orlando, Florida. Getting some free coins from the merit badge, such as a buffalo nickel, encouraged me even more to collect coins. to this day, I try to find error coins, really old coins, and coins with an S mint mark(hard to find). I want this coin because I am still a beginner and this would be nice to have. Thank you for creating this contest!

16. Tylercw7

Tylercw7 Member

Well i dont expect to win with my story but i think it might interest some people. To start off im 19 years old so not really young and in college but ive only been collecting coins about a year now. On December 17th, of last year ive had the first death close to me. It was one of these things i haven't really experienced and didn't quite know how to coupe with. A friend of mine since like first or second grade took him life. One day about a week or two later my mom didn't want me to just sit around the time so she made me go to an antique store with her. It was cool they had display cases with all kinds of neat things and in one case there was a bunch of old coins. I thought it was cool becomes i never thought of collecting coins and i thought they were the coolest things. I bought a roll of wheat cents for $2.50 and i thought they were the coolest things ever. I would go through and look at each one at a time. Ever since then i have been collecting coins buying a few here and there (which i cant do anymore cause im in college and no longer have a job), getting them from family members, just anyway i can. If by some miracle i won this coin which i doubt i will but im sure im not the only one that's had it rough i think it would be cool because it would be the first graded coin in my collection. My ultimate goal though is to one day be able to have a family and teach my kids about coins so i can pass my collection down to them. I think coin collecting is one of the few things that has given me joy in life and every time i get a new one even if its just finding a 50's wheat cent in change i feel like a little kid at Christmas when he opens the very first present. Good luck to everyone in this contest and thank you for the contest.

17. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

Well here we go

I only started coin collecting a couple months ago. I found a couple wheat pennies in a little brown box in my room where i had my grandpa's dog tags and my great grandmas pendant. Then my aunt used to save her change for me to cash in and to get stuff with. Well i decided to look through for maybe some wheat pennies, found a couple and was flattered. Then my grandma and grandpa gave me 2 silver dollars my great grandpas both had, a 1923 and a 1921 morgan.These are my priced pieces in my collection. I will never let go of them and pass them to my children's children.

I really like collecting coins since i got into it. Its something I'm really interested in and can stick to.I'll always enjoy collecting. It sorta draws me in. I also like history alot and like to think when I hold a coin, Where has this been?What has this seen?Who held this coin and did they every think I would hold it? Somelse I will like doing is to finish my Mercury Dime Collection since they have seen alot of history.

I would like this coin because I could write this down as my first graded coin I own. I also like these coins because they show when a dollar was a dollar

Well thats my story

18. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

Just wanted to point out that I shortened the contest ending time to 1 week from today ... 5pm EST Monday November 21st ... Good Luck!

19. Cazkaboom

Oh, I forgot to say, Since then, I have been keeping all records of coin sales and purchases ever since. Weather or not I get a receipt, I just write it down and stick it in a file having who I obtained them from, how, price, and when. Keeping my record squeaky clean! :D

20. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

I started collecting because everyone around me collected.
    I like collection because there cool and not everyone has coins.
    I want to win this coin because I was to start ancollection of large cents I alreadynhad a 1818 ( Thank you ziggy9)

21. mizozuman2

yeah, but i think you are winning though... LIKE MY STUFF OR ELSE!!! :D

Mizozuman2

Draft saved Draft deleted