Large Cent Day...might as well show new ones

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mark_h, Feb 17, 2010.

1. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

With all those threads are large cents on the first page today I thought I would toss in my new ones. One of these days I will get energetic and get some software to straighten out the pictures. Oh well - you all just have to live with it.

Here are my new additions. The 1820 was the one I mentioned I bought without good pictures from a recommended dealer on this site - turned out really nice. The 1830 coin I bought cause I mis-attributed it. Still a good purchase I just thought it was a R-3 coin versus R-1 - which would have made it a really good buy. You have to know where to look to see the crack from the rim to the point of the bust. So the 1820 is N-13 and 1830 is N-8.

As always all comments are welcome good or bad. Gotta love large cents if you hang around this forum - especially today. :)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Those are nice coins.

The most expensive coin in my collection was one I obtained when I misattributed it as a retooled S-64 WITH a fraction bar. I'm a sucker for a new variety attribution. It turned out to be a nice, but common S-65 though the fraction bar still doesn't seem quite right.

4. mark_h

Thanks. What I like to do for this set is search dealer inventory where they do not attribute the coins - the variety can make a big difference in price at this grade. These two were reasonable so I should have figured they were R-1 coins. I like trying to attribute the coins, but do not collect by it. I have been trying to upgrade to varieties I do not have in my dansco album.

5. Art

Art Numismatist?

Super large cents.

6. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

those are great pieces. i like how that 1830 is showing some original luster. id love to get a piece like that eventually.

7. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

wow, those cents are nice. love that luster

8. mark_h

Shawn Yancey has some beauties on ebay right now. The only reason I did not make an offer on a couple of his were because these two were a lot cheaper. I got lucky with the 1820 - the picture golden eagle had up was nothing but a dark blob. And thanks everyone. The 1820 has a more subtle luster on the obverse than the 1830, but both show luster on the reverse. To me they are beauties for this set.

9. Lugia

i dont pay much attention to coins on ebay anymore. if i want to buy serious coins i goto chicago. i know theres deals to be had like the XF details 1828 (ill make pics eventually) i got for $13 but theres also alot of over payed for junk.

10. mark_h

At times I wished I lived in a city with more than 2 shops and close to a city with a major show. And yes both at dealers and on ebay there is a ton of over priced junk out there. Question for you - is there a major show in Chicago where PCGS or NGC are available? I think the savings in shipping money alone would pay for my gas up and back to the show. :) I need to go check their web sites for the shows.

11. Lugia

im sorry for i cant say. the closest shows to me are going to be at the windom hotel and Midwest Express Center (i know some people from here will be there) and that wont be for 2 months. when i goto chicago i go with a friend who knows his way around much better then i do so im usually not picking the day.

12. mark_h

I was just on the PCGS website. There is one show currently scheduled in April where PCGS will be accepting submissions, but not grading on site. I might have to make it up to this show - Chicago International Coin Fair 04/22/2010 to 04/25/2010 Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare. If nothing else I suppose they would help me with the submission forms and save me shipping and insurance one direction(maybe).

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It's a really good show if you like World coins or ancients. I'll be there on Friday and Saturday. I make it almost every year unless EAC is closeby (They tend to be the same weekend.)

Next year the ANA Convention will be in Chicago. I'm sure they will have on site grading for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted