Large cent album

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by l.cutler, Dec 27, 2012.

1. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Does anyone have any experience with the various large cent albums available? The Dansco seems to delve deeper into varieties than I was looking for, and the Whitman is more of a one a year. The whitman doesn't even have the Chain, Wreath and Liberty Cap of 1793. Does anyone have any experience with the Littleton album? Any other good ones out there? Thanks for any assistance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. marid3

marid3 Member

For what it's worth, I think Large Cents are kinda special, and probably wouldn't put them in an album - there are problems with albums, mainly the scratching from the slides and the handling required to get them in, in addition to the edge friction. I really like albums for my mid-grade coins, those not really valuable, but more special than the stuff I store in tubes. If you buy slabbed coins, or raw then get them slabbed, this is great storage, and you can easily pull each out to show them off:
    http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product.php?productid=1654&cat=232&page=1

For where you choose to use albums, while not Large Cent specific, here's a review I posted of various albums a little while ago - hope you find it helpful:
    http://www.cointalk.com/t199783/
    Happy collecting.

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

In my experience, album holes often do not fit large cents snugly. Of course, the early coins were not struck in collar. Perhaps you could consider making a 3-ring album from 20-pocket archival pages with whichever 2x2 inserts (cardboard or flips)you prefer. These would give you room to write details about each coin.

5. Saint Bunny

Saint Bunny New Member

i want to find a vintage whitman large cent album because im starting to collect them

6. Saint Bunny

Saint Bunny New Member

collect albums

7. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I don't know who all makes albums for large cents. I've always used a Dansco for my basic date set, and for the many varieties I've done what Collector mentioned by using 2x2's and plastic sheets in a binder.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I used to keep my raw large cent collection in a Dansco. I was not happy with the protection afforded the coins in the album (many of the coins moved around in the holes, cardboard dust, risk of surface scratches from the clear covers, etc.) and have since moved my raw large cents into Airtites.

Draft saved Draft deleted