Laminations - Mint Error or Details Grade

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by KSorbo, Jun 9, 2019.

1. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I just joined a Russian numismatic forum and got involved in a discussion about planchet flaws, laminations and how they are addressed by NGC. I thought that usually laminations result in a details grade or even a body bag. However, the example below got a numerical grade with mint error designation. Why would this be? Does it depend perhaps on whether the coin was submitted as an error? Or do large laminations like this one cross the line into an error versus just a run of the mill planchet flaw?

FF8C0C1B-FC18-49B2-BC7B-64745C8E2260.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I have a buffalo 1918 D with Lamination error and it graded Au 58

4. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I've owned quite a few Hungarian War of Independence copper issues (1848-49) that got straight graded MS with lamination issues. It is common (almost impossible to find without at least minor lamination) for those types so I figure they get a pass.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The answer is rather simple really, and it's for the same reason as it is when it comes to other problem issues - it's all a matter of degree.

For example, a scratch, a gouge, hairlines, laminations and more - it all depends on how severe it is as to whether or not the coin is deemed worthy of being graded, or labeled as a problem coin.

That's really all there is to it.

KSorbo and Seattlite86 like this.
  6. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

So if it’s a minor lamination or other planchet flaw does it get a straight grade or details grade, and if it’s more dramatic does it get designated as an error?

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The answer to both things is yes, sometimes. More so for the former than the latter. As I said, with many problem issues, if it is not too severe, the coin will be straight graded. If it is deemed severe, it will be placed in a Details slab. When it comes to error designations, each of the TPGs has their own limitations. They will designate some errors and not designate other errors. It's all up to them to make those decisions. Usually, they provide a list of the errors, and varieties, that they will or will not designate as such.

KSorbo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted