Lamination or PMD?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MisterJ, May 29, 2024.

1. MisterJ

MisterJ Member

This is definitely for my education. Would love to get opinions. I have a few more questions but I'm trying to pace myself o_O

Attached Files:

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hola, Aloha, Hello! Welcome this fine morning on the East coast. Definitely PMD. Check out : error-ref.com for lamination examples.

MisterJ and Spark1951 like this.
  4. MisterJ

MisterJ Member

Thanks. I do have a Bombay Hook that is 100% a lamination but this type has had me curious yet pessimistic. I do appreciate the response and will know what to look for.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Your 1993 Cent was minted on a Copper Plated Zinc Planchet. The edge took a hit during circulation which affected the copper plating and exposed the inner zinc.

The examples of true Laminations occur on copper planchets Cents minted before 1983.

1982 was the last year they made Copper Cents.

Please show your Bombay Hook.. Whatever that is o_O

Cheech9712, ZoidMeister and MisterJ like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Afraid to say it’s all PMD. Please post your Bombay Hook Quarter. Welcome to CT.

Cheech9712 and MisterJ like this.
  7. MisterJ

MisterJ Member

Ok let's see if I'm right. I believe it's a retained lamination but am very open to other's opinions

Attached Files:

8. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

It looks like it was dinged and removed a thin layer of metal and then deposited it in a line. PMD

MisterJ and Spark1951 like this.
  9. Collecting Nut

I have to say PMD as u it t appears to have been struck and the metal was scraped and pushed into a line. Here is one of my examples of a lamination.
    88AA5034-8561-42AC-A19C-7E3480DFA261.jpeg 999A2E5E-A08F-4DFB-A0B1-47BEC942E96F.jpeg It’s a retained lamination. You can easily see the tears and no straight lines. I can even slip a piece of paper under the peeling portion.
    Here is another one of mine. You can see the peeling taking place in the field in front of Lincoln’s nose.
    94321BCD-1E7C-491F-941F-82870D1FA147.jpeg
    I included this but it’s a struck through on the rim. You can see how the rim reacted. Nothing like your coin on the rim even though this one is a struck through.
    51A38A71-D98E-4EEC-9C44-3361C35D7DFA.jpeg

Cheech9712, ZoidMeister and MisterJ like this.
  10. MisterJ

MisterJ Member

Truly appreciate learning like this. Thank you

Cheech9712 and Collecting Nut like this.
  11. Collecting Nut

No problem and that’s what we’re here for. Welcome to CT.

MisterJ likes this.
  12. 3BStuff

3BStuff Cogitare Et Prolatantem

I don't like the deja vu I got from this but aside from that welcome to the CT![​IMG]

MisterJ likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted